Training managers in accident investigation

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

zenad
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Training managers in accident investigation

Post by zenad »

I have been asked to look at the training program for accident investigation for managers of care homes. i am struggling to make this interesting and keeep their attention. I have 2-3 hours and need to include RIDDOR, as well as legal reasons , policy etc. i would like to have a more practical approach rather than have lots of slides which is what i have at the moment
Does any one have any suggestions or examples of what they train their managers that i could look at?
i am hoping to include a scenario using examples of badly filled in accident forms and then asking them what they feel would make it better. I do not want to be little the managers and make it seem as if we are teaching children however i do want to put across the importance of what we need and why.
Many thanks for your help
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Re: Training managers in accident investigation

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi Zenad
2004 press release from HSE about new guidance for Accident Investigation http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2004/e04094.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The four steps featured in the guidance are:

* the gathering of information;
* the analysing of information;
* identifying risk control measures;
* and the action plan and its implementation.
Copies of 'Investigating accidents and incidents - a workbook for employers, unions, safety representatives and safety professionals' (HSE Ref. HSG245) are available from HSE Books, PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk CO10 2WA (Tel: 01787-881165/Fax: 01787-313995). Priced publications are also available from good booksellers. ISBN 0 7176 2827 2, price £9.50.
This article is also interesting (human factors in accident investigation) http://www.energyinst.org.uk/index.cfm?PageID=1268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simply attributing incidents/accidents to human error is not adequate; human factors aspects should be investigated such that lessons are learned to prevent recurrence. Each incident or accident is a learning opportunity, but one that can be wasted unless the effort put into investigating and analysing it focuses on discovering its true underlying causes rather than on the people directly involved and the immediate causes of their failure.
./thumbsup..
The link to this came from here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors/comah/hfaccident.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both Trade Union H&S Representatives and Representatives of Employee Safety have rights to be involved in Accident Investigations, and their early involvement in the process helps reassure the workforce that the investigation will be fair, thorough, and that the findings are (more) likely to be acted on and implemented reasonably...

Hope this helps as a start :wave:
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
nige b
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: groundworks

Post by nige b »

Zenad take the 4 steps and use them as sections of the course
do the theorey behind each step then a practical based on each step
the hardest part is to motivate managers
I know one company where a manager produced a detaild 20 page investigation into a " Paper cut "
I am sure others in here will give similar examples of too much or not enough effort

N
whatever the future im a happy bunny? Its now the future and I AM a happy bunny
Ardbeg
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Education & Healthcare

Post by Ardbeg »

Hi Zena :wave:

If memory serves me, you work in health/social care?

pm me and I'll see what I can dig out - this is something we deliver to managers in this area.

Cheers ./thumbsup..
Know safety, no injury. No safety, know injury
andybz
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by andybz »

Causal trees are a great practical training exercise, as well as being very useful for live investigations. Groups of 3 or 4 people, flip chart and post-it notes. Start at the top with a failure, as why is occurred. Then look at those causes and ask why they happened. Keep developing the tree until you get to the root causes. There is an example of a simple tree here http://abrisk.co.uk/images/abriskimages/causal_tree.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can either use a hypothetical example, go through a published accident or get them to try one of their own.
Risk, safety and health
Human factors and ergonomics
http://www.simplesensiblesafety.co.uk
http://www.andybrazier.co.uk
Lisa_
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Protector of the innocent and slayer of the guilty!

Post by Lisa_ »

Hiya Zenad,

I used to start off by asking people what they had for breakfast 3 years ago - after all people have three years to out in a claim and if we don't write it down at the time we won't remember it accurately later!

Information on trends and failure to complete corrective action to avoid trends tends to get people interested - reporting on minor incidents - "if only so and so had reported it when they stumbled on the uneven paving slab then you wouldn't have a mountain of paperwork because Mrs X has tripped over and now needs a hip replacement.

Data on foreseeable accidents is always good.

I've given managers a selection of AI forms and asked them how we could defend a claim - I've tippexed out the names of the managers who signed off the end report - only they knew who they were. It wasn't designed to embarrass but to encourage thinking. As it highlighted probs across the group it was not about teaching people to suck eggs but on re-education.

Setting up a make believe incident - half the trainees being the investigators - the others being the injured party / witnesses etc. so they can practice interview techniques - giving the witnesses etc facts that the investigators need to uncover will help them along the right lines in the real world. Then swap around - which ever team finds all 10 facts that you have provided by asking the right questions wins a small prize. You can even have silly music (inspector gadget theme tune is a good one) with fictitious names can keep the mood light but the subject serious.

Given your industry I am guessing that violence and aggression is a big one so time on looking after the victim can be brought in here.

The business benefit of good H&S - reduced claims / liability , improved morale - some one cares enough to follow up an incident is a powerful tool

If you haven't guessed this is an area I love training on . I once turned up to a place that had a power cut so I didn't even have my notes from the laptop . The training went ahead and it was one of the best sets of feedback I've had as it was so interactive.

I'll shut up now before I waffle on all night

Hope it goes well and you enjoy it - if you do then the chances are that your trainees will to - positivity is contagious !

L
If you can manage health and safety, the odds are you are a good manager of people
zenad
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by zenad »

Many thanks for all of your help it has been most useful
regards
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

There is a section in the IOSH Managing safely notes (post 2006 when the course format changed) which explains accident investigation very well.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Keith, you need to be careful of using IOSH notes to teach from unless you are accreditated to teach that particular course content.

It is OK to use it as a guide and perhaps make your own training presentation but copyright may be an issue.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Keith1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

WillPool wrote:Keith, you need to be careful of using IOSH notes to teach from unless you are accreditated to teach that particular course content.

It is OK to use it as a guide and perhaps make your own training presentation but copyright may be an issue.

Will .salut
I completely agree! I was meaning it was a good course and would get my recommendation, I don't condone infringement of copyright or teaching when you're not qualified to!
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy