If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Blue lights

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

apdedman

Blue lights

Post by apdedman »

Hi All,

I was suggested to me the other day that we install blue lights near our emergency showers. The reasoning was that we see blue light much better in an emergency or when our eyes are partly closed.

Has any one come across this before or has information on it?

Thanks
Andrew
futchereagle
The Eternal Student
The Eternal Student

Re: Blue lights

Post by futchereagle »

Hi Their
What do you have emergency for.
RobB
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by RobB »

only blue lights I have seen are those in some public toilets which are supposed to make it harder for drug adicts to see veins.

Rob
Confused most of the time
apdedman

Post by apdedman »

I assume the blue light help you eyes focus quickly on the area
Cheers
Andrew
Phil
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Phil »

An Interesting topic. Just the sort of thing I like looking up. Heres a shortened version of where my nights websurfing took me.

There are two types of vision receptors in the eye, rods and cones. There are more rods than cones and they are more sensitive but they don't see colour. In darker conditions the cones don't work so we see almost exclusively with the rods which are more sensitive to light at the blue end of the spectrum. Low light vision is called Scotopic vision and the shift in colour sensitivity as the light level changes is called the Purkinje effect. Peak sensitivity at low light is actually at 507nm which is more green than blue.

This effect is also the reason they use red lights in submarine control rooms. Since the rods aren't affected by red light it allows vision using the cones without effecting the rods. If someone then walks from the control room to another room which is dimly lit they don't have to wait for their eyes to adjust.

Amazing stuff which I may find useful one day. :D
When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout. Image
apdedman

Post by apdedman »

Thanks Phil digging up the information. Its an interesting topic. It would be nice to read a discussion paper on it, but is there one out there as I would like to implement such a thing at work.
Cheers
Andrew

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy