Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

beerinmyboots
Snr Member
Snr Member

Help :-(

Post by beerinmyboots »

Hi All

I am a newbie and am totally bemused by my coursework. I have to give an example of 'attitude' and try as I might, my brain won't let me.

Can anyone please help a damsel in distress?

.scratch
Carol
safety1st

Bad or Good?

Post by safety1st »

Please define context......Good or Bad? In relation to what....
beerinmyboots
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by beerinmyboots »

Thanks for the response.

The question reads as follows :-

a)Explain, using examples, the meaning of 'attitude'
Carol
safety1st

Post by safety1st »

Hope this informs somewhat, get a cup of tea and a fag first though...

Rules are broken for many reasons. Some rules are broken to meet production deadlines. Others are broken primarily for the benefit of the individual. Violations are rarely associated with wilful acts of sabotage or vandalism, they are more likely to be the result of a negative attitude.
The factors that influence the likelihood of violations can be considered in terms of:
1. Direct motivators
2. Behaviour modifiers.
The direct motivators form the underlying motives for an individual, or group, consciously deciding to break a rule.
Although not motives in themselves, the behaviour modifiers influence the likelihood of violation. Behaviour modifiers can be both positive and negative.
A useful approach to highlight factors likely to increase non-compliant behaviour involves the assessment of both direct motivators and behaviour modifiers. For example, cutting corners on a safety procedure may make life easier for an operator (a direct motivator). The likelihood the operator will decide to violate will be influenced by the effectiveness of the supervision (a behaviour modifier). Effective supervision will tend to reduce the likelihood of that violation occurring, whereas ineffective supervision will tend to increase that likelihood. However, without the presence of a direct motivator, the behavioural modifier will not, in itself, increase the likelihood of a safety rule being violated.
By identifying direct motivators and the influence of the behaviour modifiers, many of the root causes behind violations become apparent and practical management actions can be developed. Management will then have greater confidence in their proposed initiatives. Without this knowledge the introduction of new initiatives can be an act of faith and, in some cases, the underlying causes of the problems will not be addressed. The effectiveness of any initiative may be significantly reduced.
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Post by Coldrop »

personal factors...

Attitude is the tendancy to behave in a particular way in a certain situation, attitudes are influenced by the prevailing health and safety culture within the organisation.

page 71 of the "Introdution to health and safety at work" book by hughes and ferrett (the handbook for the nebosh certificate
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
beerinmyboots
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by beerinmyboots »

Thanks for all your help guys, but I am still struggling for an example.
I think I'll give up thinking for today and try again tomorrow !

:rolleyes:
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

beerinmyboots wrote:Thanks for all your help guys, but I am still struggling for an example.
I think I'll give up thinking for today and try again tomorrow !

:rolleyes:
That's the best "attitude" today. When the brain is struggling, give it a little rest and then read Stokers' reply.

Good luck.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Post by Coldrop »

example.............. a young person attitude can be influenced by peer pressure, therefore health and safety training must be designed with this in mind, using examples or case studies relevant to them.
Behavior may be changed with training and enforcement of the rules, attitude change often follows.
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

beerinmyboots wrote:Thanks for the response.

The question reads as follows :-

a)Explain, using examples, the meaning of 'attitude'
Hey beerinmyboots,

Welcome to the forums :D :wave:

Basically a persons attitude is a person's point of view or their own way of looking at something, something that is not inherent but rather taught.

They are learned from our own beliefs and feelings surrounding various issues or tasks, some of which are strong enough to last a lifetime.

The main effects on attitude are peer pressure, education or lack of and of our own experience.

For example, I once knew a machine operator who worked milling machines, lathes, pillar drills etc, but did so without wearing any eye protection whatsoever and also wore huge bracelets and rings like Liberace.

I asked him one day if he thought it was wise not to wear goggles and if it was wise to wear his jewellery at work where he could become tangled in the machines. He replied with his typical stubbornness:
crazy stubborn man with bad attitude wrote:......I've always worn my bracelets and rings and nothing has ever happened before in 40 years of working these machines, as for goggles, sheesh......haven't you got work to do........
Basically an attitude of "I have always done it this way", which can be changed through the same avenues as they were embedded in the person in the first place, i.e. peer pressure, education and experience (as they get older).

I hope this helps :D

ps, excellent name by the way. ;)

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy