IOSH CPD

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

IOSH CPD

Post by Gladiator »

PLEASE NOTE
This Topic is now 10+ years old and there have been several changes to the IOSH CPD system in recent years.
It is incumbent on anyone using this Topic to learn something about the IPD/CPD process to use the IOSH Website as their primary information sources.
Thank you - your Forum Moderators

Right, I have a few minutes so let's see if I can give some help on this.

Firstly use internet explorer to access the 'my IOSH' not Mozilla Firefox, no idea why but it won't allow you to credit points.

So I will assume all those here on the HSFB forum that are eligible for CPD have managed to get register and have ay least got as far as signing in. Once you are in the first detailing to undertake BEFORE going any further is click on the left hand side purple area where it says 'input my development plan', once you have done that you will be presented with;

A: The Development Plan and Diary
B: Maintenance of Skills
C: New Professional Skills
D: Transferable Skills

Before where the ABC& D are shown you will see 'view' before each letter; to commence for your very first time you must do the 'Development plan and diary' first before proceeding any further.

So, click on view next to A: The Development Plan and Diary to input your development plan activities. Do not click on view next to B, C or D at this stage.

To begin the process, click on add an activity; and don't worry as you enter more activities your development plan will be built up. Once you get into the new window it is headed 'Input my development plan' below the title are 5 lines or you will probably refer to them as boxes.

Box number one: Call it what you want, that is up to you.

Next box: Where it says 'activity' that is either an activity so leave it alone or click it and you may be doing a bona fida IOSH course etc it will fill it in for you if you select the latter. Anyway, leave it at activity and click on 'status' and my advice on this part of the plan is it is 'planned so select that option, if you have done all you CPD via word documents then it will be ,finished and you just need to copy and paste here.

Click on the tiny square on the right in the next box start (dd/mm/yyyy) and a calendar pops up, select a date and it will enter in the box or just enter it in the way I have shown above. NOW LISTEN, THIS IS WHERE MANY GO WRONG AND GIVE UP!!!!! DON'T select a start date that is before your registration date for cpd, YOU CAN CHECK AND UPODATE YOUR DETAILS IN MY DETAILS; strangely enough, so to recap, don't enter a date before the CPD commenced, one more time; DO NOT ENTER A DATE BEFORE CPD REGISTRATION DATE. Now then, moving on, the last box is end date so pick a date when you will end it, click on next and fingers crossed you should get a box.

Type away for as much as you like, and click next and you will see the following, A: The Development Plan and Diary with boxes of zero's at the end, pick 3 points and that is the maximum you can select at any time, so at the very end under 'credits enter 3 points and click finish.

Your now ready to continue; next is any of the 3 areas, you will know what you have planned and completed or is active and is worthy to be classed as CPD, so click on view and the process is identical, difference here is you can split your 3 points up, 2 in new skills say and 1 in maintenance, but only ever enter to a maximum of 3, and be honest look at the following;

Award yourself 0 credits if an activity provided you with no discernible development
Award yourself 1 credit if an activity provided you with a small amount of development
Award yourself 2 credits if an activity provided you with a moderate amount of development
Award yourself 3 credits if an activity provided you with a considerable amount of development, far exceeding the amount you anticipated
Distributing credits

It is important to remember that the maximum number of credits you can award yourself in respect of any one activity is 3 credits.

It is also important to note that it is your decision as to how you distribute credits to the various sections of your online CPD record. So, for example, if you decide to award yourself 2 credits for an activity, and that activity was valuable in terms of both maintaining your core skills and developing transferable skills, you can distribute 1 credit to sections B and D of your online CPD record.

Accumulating credits

To successfully complete each 3-year CPD cycle, you must accumulate a minimum of 30 CPD credits.

As a general rule, we would expect you to carry out sufficient CPD activities in any 3-year cycle to allow you to accumulate a minimum of 9 credits in each of the 3 sections – maintaining core skills and knowledge, developing new skills and developing transferable skills.

Depending on what stage you’re at in your career, you may wish to concentrate on one section and less on the other two. For example, if you’re a seasoned practitioner you may wish to focus more on developing transferable skills and less on maintaining and developing your professional skills. Whatever you decide, your total credits for each 3-year cycle should be no less than 30. And don’t forget – you can allocate yourself up to 3 credits once you’ve created your development plan, but only once you have remember.

Once you’ve completed a CPD activity, you don’t simply allocate CPD credits automatically. You first have to reflect on its value in terms of how much professional development you personally have gained from it.

This being the case, two people attending the same event could derive different amounts of value from it, and therefore allocate different amounts of CPD credit in their online records.

Similarly, you could attend a three-day conference one week and a different three-day conference a month later, and derive different levels of professional development from each.

The process of reflection is one of the key elements of CPD. It’s not the doing of an activity that counts – its understanding its value to you and recording it.

I have to be fair used a bit of the IOSH advice at the end here; it makes sense so I have included it.

That’s the first part, I will follow this up when you have had a chance to quietly sit and have a go. Allow yourself the time have a cuppa and concentrate. When you are done, click update my CPD.

Good Luck

Gladiator
Last edited by bernicarey on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankie C
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Frankie C »

Glad,
A very useful article. It takes away some of the mysteries surrounding the scheme!
Frankie C
"You must give some time to your fellow man"
Albert Schweitzer 1875 - 1965

http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/domains/d ... hp?domid=6
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

I can only re iterate what Frankie has said Glad.
Otto 8)
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: IOSH CPD

Post by Reddwarf »

i did run in fear of it for nearly to years until my cycle was due to end so i sat down and have to say it was very easy, gladiator has described the process will but it is really simple and intuitive. if you do need help phone IOSH and they have a help line that is really good should you need it.

Another point don't try adding activity's beyond your 3 year cycle as it won't allow it.

Red
linda
Twitter: @sheknowslinda

Post by linda »

Hi Folks

Don't forget that your IPD/CPD records are there to be audited by IOSH, be it on an annual basis or before a panel/membership upgrade application.

I am quite happy to keep mine in a blog style, being honest I knock some courses and praise others - it depends on what I felt that I got out of it. However, in reality if I put everything was ace and gave myself 3 points for each activity I did, I would feel that some one would be laughing at me on the other end of the www! IMO - It is a bit of a window to your soul so don't take the mick as it could lose you credibility.

regards

Linda
SHE Knows, all about the conversion from the L4 to the NVQ L5 Diploma

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

I found IOSH were brilliant in helping me with this and was on the phone for a long time. I think honesty is important, I have given myself 1 for some things and 3 for others but I have put why and am confident if questioned I could back that up.
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
sivvy1
Student
Student

Post by sivvy1 »

i understand that when entering a higher level course, such as the diploma if you are tech level member, you need to split it down into modules, now is a module each element, of which there are 33, or do i need to split into unit a, b, c, and d?
linda

Post by linda »

hi

I would split it into units a, b, c etc

Regards

Linda

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
linda

Post by linda »

Hi folks

For those of you who don’t get to follow the newsletters – IOSH Humberside Branch is holding an Extended Branch Meeting on 6th october:
Membership Structure/IPD/SDP/Mentoring with Fiona Gelling from the Membership Department to present upon the following:
Membership Structure
Initial Professional Development (IPD) Process
New Electronic Skills Development
Mentoring
The presentation will commence at 12:30 following the buffet lunch and will last approximately 1.5-2 hours.
All members are welcome to attend.

http://www.iosh.co.uk/branches/humber/b ... _2011.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards

Linda

acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Linda,

It's tomorrow morning, which is actually the 5th !!

See ya there - got a Hull gig with the band to tell you about happening on Friday night !!
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Just to update, the CPD seminar was a great success, and I certainly got some good help out of the session.

I'm now up to date and everything in the right sections as well - no mean feat for me !!
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
Risky1
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Healthcare

Post by Risky1 »

I must admit that I really can't motovate myself to go through this, I have been Grad IOSH for ages. I work in a medimum sized hospital in south London, have experience and I am hopfull good at my job. I did an NVQ4 and do not see why I need to sit yet another exam and then be grilled by a panel of old duffers who will be looking to see if I am wearing the right tie or went to the right school before they allow me to sit at the top table. As for CPD, why oh why is it soooo difficult to put stuff on your account on the IOSH site (which I have not been on for yonks).

Nurse, NURSE, quick get the medicine, it's happening again

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy