IOSH CPD

HSfB might have things to say, big things might need to be announced, this is the forum we will announce those big things.

Moderator: Moderators

Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: IOSH CPD

Post by Reddwarf »

Risky1 wrote:I must admit that I really can't motovate myself to go through this, I have been Grad IOSH for ages. I work in a medimum sized hospital in south London, have experience and I am hopfull good at my job. I did an NVQ4 and do not see why I need to sit yet another exam and then be grilled by a panel of old duffers who will be looking to see if I am wearing the right tie or went to the right school before they allow me to sit at the top table. As for CPD, why oh why is it soooo difficult to put stuff on your account on the IOSH site (which I have not been on for yonks).

Nurse, NURSE, quick get the medicine, it's happening again
To be honest Risky i don't think it is I'm not sure if they changed the format a couple of years ago but it really is easy to do just follow Gladiators guide at the top it really is straight forward. if you work in H&S and attend the odd course or even trade shows then you should be able to rack up 30 points in a year let alone 3 years. Just be sensible how you allocate points and put at statement what you have learnt from the activity and maybe put a few words around why you allocated the number of points you did. If you don't want to go on the site all the time just keep a note in a diary of possible activities that might be worth entering or if everything at work is on computer just spend a few minutes looking at past jobs you where involved in.

Red

Red
Risky1
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Healthcare

Post by Risky1 »

Many thanks for the reply Red,
Perhaps it's is time to bite the bullet and try CPD again, however my hart sinks at the thought of doing it!!

That's an interesting little line at the bottom of your reply "It's better to live one day as a lion, than a whole life time as a worm" I would beg to differ- no worm, no fertile earth, no plant growth, no food, NO LION. The economies of scale are not always what we perceive! No offence intended.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Don't confuse IPD with CPD.
Risky1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 am
I must admit that I really can't motovate myself to go through this, I have been Grad IOSH for ages. I work in a medimum sized hospital in south London, have experience and I am hopfull good at my job. I did an NVQ4 and do not see why I need to sit yet another exam and then be grilled by a panel of old duffers who will be looking to see if I am wearing the right tie or went to the right school before they allow me to sit at the top table. As for CPD, why oh why is it soooo difficult to put stuff on your account on the IOSH site (which I have not been on for yonks).

Nurse, NURSE, quick get the medicine, it's happening again
You can stay GradIOSH without bothering to complete Initial Professional Development (IPD), that's your choice. You don't have to aim at CMIOSH.
BUT - All Chartered Fellows, Chartered Members, Graduate and Technician Members have to carry out CPD to safeguard their professional membership status.

So if you want to carry on calling yourself GradIOSH, get yourself moving.

Completing the on-line CPD is easy, there's even articles with quizzes attached that appear in SHP magazine every few months, which can be used as CPD points. See the FAQ section for more details. http://www.iosh.co.uk/membership/about_ ... _faqs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Risky1
Student
Student

Post by Risky1 »

Consider myself told!!!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Risky1 wrote:Consider myself told!!!
:)

Better you find out now than when IOSH tell you you can't renew your membership ;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

linda
Twitter: @sheknowslinda

Post by linda »

hiya

danglies, I'm not an old duffer! Seriously if you need any help give me a shout. You should ace the thing as you are working in that environment. You have done your NVQ and can do the job so just take a bit a of time out to get your letters upgraded. You started the process so you obviously want them! The panel are only there to verify what you said you know, if you haven't lied about anything then you will fly through it.

Regards

Linda
SHE Knows, all about the conversion from the L4 to the NVQ L5 Diploma

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

I can assure people that Linda is no old duffer, certainly not in the flesh !!

OY ! Stop it !!

She's very knowledgeable and a great help with NVQ's !
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
Risky1
Student
Student

Post by Risky1 »

Good morning all, hope you had a good weekend

When I said old duffers, I meant it figuratively, I would not accuse any one of being an old duffer (unless the cap fits of course!). I do object to having done the NVQ5 only to find I have to sit another exam (open) and have to face a panel of my peers. Do IOSH not believe me or feel the NVQ is not quite up to standard? I am not very good at exams, that's why I did the NVQ route, not the easiest option by any means.
Anyway on Friday afternoon I found myself with a spare half hour, so decided to have another go at updating my CPD on the IOSH website, I still can’t work it out, I guess it must be me.... DOH
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Risky1 wrote: I do object to having done the NVQ5 only to find I have to sit another exam (open) and have to face a panel of my peers. Do IOSH not believe me or feel the NVQ is not quite up to standard? I am not very good at exams, that's why I did the NVQ route, not the easiest option by any means.
Well, quite honestly, that's your problem. Nobody is forcing you to go for CMIOSH...
And nobody said the NVQ was easy; however, don't expect those of us who lost a year or two of our lives studying for the NEBOSH Diploma Units to have sympathy. You had to provide a portfolio of evidence from your daily working environment, not study areas that may have been totally alien to you.

You are currently GradIOSH, so what do you expect, that IOSH will give you CMIOSH for no extra effort? Your NVQ gained you Grad status, to get CM you need to provide a bit more. The open assessment is to prove your breadth of knowledge, since your NVQ would have been restricted to the employment you are in. Those of us who have taken NEBOSH exams have proven our knowledge over a wide and random range of topics. The Peer interview applies to all candidates, Exam or NVQ route.

Risky1 wrote: Anyway on Friday afternoon I found myself with a spare half hour, so decided to have another go at updating my CPD on the IOSH website, I still can’t work it out, I guess it must be me.... DOH
Must be you... if the FAQ link I gave you previously didn't help, talk to the CPD person at your IOSH branch.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

Risky1 wrote:Many thanks for the reply Red,
Perhaps it's is time to bite the bullet and try CPD again, however my hart sinks at the thought of doing it!!

That's an interesting little line at the bottom of your reply "It's better to live one day as a lion, than a whole life time as a worm" I would beg to differ- no worm, no fertile earth, no plant growth, no food, NO LION. The economies of scale are not always what we perceive! No offence intended.
Not sure there is a lot to say to that .scratch

You can also phone IOSH and book a time when someone will talk you through the process over the phone but it real isn't that hard and there is plenty of help around. maybe you need to be in the right mind set with a positive attitude to getting it done rather than not wanting to do it in the first place. i would very much go along with berni's comments no one is forcing you down this route it's totally up to you if it's something you don't want to work to then don't do it. You have a unique approach to asking for help / assistance maybe look at it after the Xmas, draw up a list of things that you could use first to gain points then IOSH can talk you through on how to enter them.

Red
Risky1
Student
Student

Post by Risky1 »

"You have a unique approach to asking for help/assistance" a genuine LOL!!! seriously, I am sorry if I come over as being negative, it is not my intention.

Risky1
Reddwarf
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Reddwarf »

wasn't really thinking of negative so i stuck with unique. I really don't htink it is that hard to complete the CPD certainly when i joined IOSH a few years ago it was far more complicated, i think once someone has talked you through how to eneter a couple of events it will all fall into place and you will wonder why you thought it was so hard. phone up IOSH and book a 1:1 over the telephone it is what i looked at doing but worked it before i even spoke to them on the phone but they still ran me through the precess to check i had it straight in my own mind they are really helpful. half the battle is keeping track of what you can enter so either record it in a diary or update your CPD on a monthly basis i managed to catchup with 3 years of missing entries in about 2 hrs.

Red

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy