Moderator: Moderators

Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

FLT Movements and Road Conditions

Post by Safety »

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice here, we have FLTs that operate inside and outside on site.

They could drive in from outside and rain into a dry department.

We are having a number of level 5 reports from FLTs which can be skids, impacts etc with the majority of them being cause by the wet weather and road conditions (not clean, muddy in places, wet etc) - very hard to constantly clean as once done they are just as bad again.

What we need is a complete covered area, that project is in the pipeline but not happening for a while.

What I am looking for is maybe some type of anti slip external floor paint that will work or has anyone got other ideas?

Has anyone experienced anything similar ? .scratch
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: FLT Movements and Road Conditions

Post by Blackstone »

I'm sure there is some sort of anti slip paint or other solution.

A few things came to mind.
Are the FLT's being used inside/outside capable of this? Do they have the correct tyres? Are they in good condition?

Are the drivers driving to the conditions? Being more cautious in wet/muddy/slippery conditions? Has driver behaviour been observed?
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

Hi,

The FLTs tyres are in good condition and checked daily. Trucks are able to operate inside and outside, but I am asking the question about the type of tyre fitted as its very smooth and would easily skid.

We have the tucks fitted with limiters and all have gone through training with regular TBTs.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

I'm wondering if this is more of a behavioural issue? Especially if there's things in place to reduce the skid risk, i.e. cleaning the areas, and the FLTs tyres are in good condition, assuming you have been supplied with FLTs and tyres to suit your work activities.

Are you confident the drivers are driving to the 'road' conditions? A much slower speed, slower turning, plenty of time to stop and their lowest acceleration should be enough for a skilled driver.

I take it the internal floor is smooth concrete?

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

Hi Safety,
What I have done in the past is use external paint and added grit to roughen the smooth surface. A cheap option but effective. Paint the area, spread the grit and leave to dry.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

Trucks fitted with limiters to what speed?

I agree with Jack that this could be a behavioural issue. The issue is how FLT's are being operated when slowing, stopping, turning, etc, not necessarily driving in a straight line.

Cant do much other than cleaning about the FLT's dragging water and mud into the warehouse other than cleaning it.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Hi Safety

Do you have the resources so that some trucks can be delegated for outside work and others indoors - and never the two shall stray into the other? You will need a designated area for drop off / pick up?
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

HI Safety, not sure what you mean by Level 5 incidents is a 5 a high level incident or a low one?
With policy in place, training completed, vehicles spec'd up, which is all good. Have we any info from direct / indirect observations. Do we have any cameras that show what's happening.
On the face of it, it does sound like operator behaviour is a big factor. A wet road for a car is inconsequential but skidpad ally for an FLT, perhaps the operators are not adapting. Perhaps some direct supervision / observation can help identify any shortfalls on the training, bad habits etc and update the behaviours. Just because its wet or muddy shouldn't be a cause for adverse incidents, slower loading perhaps, but thats the nature of the environment.
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

We have had the areas by the entrance doors scuffed up by a contractor to provide a bit more grip. Also agree that it sounds like a behavioural issue with the drivers not taking into account the weather conditions.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy