PUWER

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

JCMIOSH92

PUWER

Post by JCMIOSH92 »

Hey all. Firstly what an amazing site this is, I've been in HS MANY years and never found this page! I've been scrolling through the last few days and finally signed up.
I really need some assistance on PUWER. its one of my most disliked topics. Because its so broad.

I am required to create a PUWER procedure for a housebuilding company. The direct employees only use things like hand tools, saws, hammers, tape measure, mastic gun.

There is also a silo and compressor which need to be included. But it just seems over the top to have a formal inspection regime for small hand tools.

Any guidance or help for how you would play it would be hugely appreciated. I have a weeks deadline.

Looking forward to using this site more.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: PUWER

Post by Alexis »

JCMIOSH92 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 am Hey all. Firstly what an amazing site this is, I've been in HS MANY years and never found this page! I've been scrolling through the last few days and finally signed up.
I really need some assistance on PUWER. its one of my most disliked topics. Because its so broad.

I am required to create a PUWER procedure for a housebuilding company. The direct employees only use things like hand tools, saws, hammers, tape measure, mastic gun.

There is also a silo and compressor which need to be included. But it just seems over the top to have a formal inspection regime for small hand tools.

Any guidance or help for how you would play it would be hugely appreciated. I have a weeks deadline.

Looking forward to using this site more.
Hi JCM and just a warm welcome to HSfB from me. :wave:

I know you will receive constructive replies to your query from our fantastic members in due course.

Good to have you aboard and if you haven't found our main site pages yet, just click on the big logo at the top left corner of this page and it will take you there. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/

Glad you found us. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Like you say, PUWER is so broad it really puts the onus on you to do whats right.

My suggestion here would be to have a written procedure for pre-use checks and visual inspections. Not just something that says you should do these things, but something that outlines what a person should be looking for. Signs of specific types of damage, that any mechanisms are working properly etc and what to do if defects are found etc, then have all your employees trained in that, with a record of that training, and a copy of the precedure easily accessible so it can be refered to should an employee forget what they are looking for. That should cover you for the majority of simple handtools.

There is no need to keep a written record of such inspections.

You will have to identify other equipment that needs a bit more than that though and no doubt some tools will fall under other legislation as well such as LOLER, PSSR, PPE, Electrical etc.. the nice thing here is that these tests and inspection help cover the thorough and regular inspection section of PUWER. These you will need to keep a record of.

Now, you may find some equipment doesnt have additional legislation but does require something more than a pre-use check. Example, i used to use whats called an edger, for cutting down ice along the edges of an ice rink. No aditional regulations covered this equipment (Its a lawnmower for the ice) but, if you look at the manufacturers operation manual, it will outline checks you should do and when. This then forms the basis of your PUWER inspection.

So you would have pre-use checks, covered in training and written in to a procedure that would be carried out before every use, but would not needed to be recorded down. This would be things like no obvious signs of danger, oil levels ok, petrol levels ok, cut off switch ok, blade tips ok etc.
Then you would have monthly checks that would include something a bit more indepth such as checking that that bolts are tight, that cables have not frayed, what ever the manufacturer recommends, and this you would record down. Again, have a written procedure in place for what needs to be checked and how to do it, what to do if defects are found etc and then have a checklist with these items on that can be signed off once a week or once a month however frequent you decided to do it.

Frequency of such checks? what does the manufacturer say? if they don't, you call them and ask, or you can determine for yourself through your risk assessment. How likely is this equipment to sustain damage, its its use, storage, transit? the greater the likelyhood the more frequent the inspections.

Simple hand held tools with no moving parts - pre-use visiual inspection procedure
Tools with moving parts - See manufacturers guidance on what to inspect and when.
Complicated equipment (lots of moving parts, pressure systems, electrics, load bearing) - See manufacturers guidance and additional legislation

Anyone else done it differently?
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

Hi, Rather than focus on PUWER on its own, it could be a great opportunity to start afresh from selection, use, maintenance, training , defect reporting repairs through to disposal, otherwise we may find butt heads with systems already in place- although that may be the case already!
One of the challenges is the inclusion of tools that the workers bring on site and keeping on top of that. Alongside all of that or included in all of that, I would bear in mind the current hot topic of HAVS and test9ing of the tools, including or especially those brought in by the workers.
It sounds like it could be more of an opportunity to adjust things and get them right rather than a challenge and a hassle to change 'what we've always done'🙈
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

Interesting question! I always found that if you apply the first 7 parts of the Regulations you were not far away. Some are more complicated than others

4.Suitability of work equipment - correct tool for the job. Ensure a hammer is used where a hammer is required - not another type of tool.

5.Maintenance - ensure regular maintenance schedule in place - and followed at regular intervals. Ensure all guarding is in place.

6.Inspection - pre use inspection and checks - vital for mobile plant such as fork lift trucks etc.

7.Specific risks - Some equipment will require special controls - eg electrical switch room - doors locked and no access to untrained personnel.

8.Information and instructions - signage - do not enter, equipment may start automatically etc.

9.Training - ensure operators are trained to use the equipment properly and records kept.

10.Conformity with Community requirements - some equipment may have been built on site to serve a purpose. Make sure the equipment complies with EC standards.

These are basic explanations of requirements and require expanded on but you get my gist. There are also separate sections of the Regs relating to FLT MEWPS etc and another for Power presses.

The rest of the sections are quite specific and include stop and emergency stop systems so you need to go through them all. Most HSE prosecutions involving machinery or moving parts will include PUWER non compliance.

Remember PUWER is not there to catch you out but to keep everyone safe - and must be complied with every time you move / resite equipment to ensure that all guarding and emergency stop systems are operating correctly.

Hope this helps
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy