What would you consider to be a major incident?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

sakura999
Student
Student

What would you consider to be a major incident?

Post by sakura999 »

I'm soon going to have an interview for a compliance role, and I'm dreading the question about what's the biggest crises I've dealt with because I'm not sure I've had to really handle many crises. So, I was just wondering what you guys would consider a major incident based on your own experience?

By the way, as an aside, does anyone have any tips to prepare for scenarios questions? Sometimes, I can be a bit slow with those. Thank you for your help!
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: What would you consider to be a major incident?

Post by Messy »

Blimey, there is a 'how long is a bit of string?' question!!

For a small firm with a workforce of 6, a bought of flu might be a major incident, whereas an IT issue might be more easily solved
But Amazon would be in a huge crisis if their IT fell over, yet have continued to grow during the pandemic, despite staffing issues

My employers have a huge commitment to crisis planning and have a team of 8 staff in our crisis management team. They plan, communicate and exercise local plans. They maintain databases, inspect and advise and train senior managers who are used as a Crisis Management Team during an incident

Real events have included utility shoutouts downs (power, water and sewage), IT failures, fires, hazmat issues and storm damage. The last year has required additional staff to be bought in to manage covid work - probably the biggest incident we have ever dealt with

Have a look at this guys blog to get an idea of the work our team does

https://blog.softexpert.com/en/develop- ... ment-plan/
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Talk about SIMP's Serious Incident Managment Policy (Pack, Procedure, Plan, insert what ever P you like). Essentially a procedure to be enacted in the event of a serious incident that states who does what and when and includes a phone tree of who has to call who. This isnt just for low level management but goes all the way up to directors and includes contacting external bodies like the environment agency etc, what to do if the press show up, contacting consultants, legal teams and so on and so on.

What makes a Serious incident should be defined in that pack and could be a variety of things and not all of them have to result in an injury. Significant loss of business is a serious incident. Something that compromises a service level agreement could be considerd a serious incident. HR issues could be considered serious incidents.

Some of the incidents I've dealth with:

Heart Attack(s) 1 death 1 recovery
Injury that resulted in having to close the business whilst it was dealt with.
Equipment failure that resulted in closing the business breaking SLA with the local authority,
Ceiling Collapse.
Fire.
Gas Leak.
Sexual Assault allegation.
Missing Child.
Suspected Child Abuse.
Break Ins.
Theft by employees (significant sums of money)
Theft by robbery.
Bomb Threats.

The incident itself isnt that important, its having procedures in place to deal with it, ie, the SIMP.
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

i forgot my missus birthday once - that was a major crisis followed by an industrial sized incident that required a thorough investigation. Responsibility for the error was pinned down to one individual who was educated as to the importance of keeping detailed records going forward.
I'm pleased to announce they have a 100% conformance record since the event.
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

Hi all,

Your responses have been really useful and informative! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me :)
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

stephen1974 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 am Talk about SIMP's Serious Incident Managment Policy (Pack, Procedure, Plan, insert what ever P you like). Essentially a procedure to be enacted in the event of a serious incident that states who does what and when and includes a phone tree of who has to call who. This isnt just for low level management but goes all the way up to directors and includes contacting external bodies like the environment agency etc, what to do if the press show up, contacting consultants, legal teams and so on and so on.

What makes a Serious incident should be defined in that pack and could be a variety of things and not all of them have to result in an injury. Significant loss of business is a serious incident. Something that compromises a service level agreement could be considerd a serious incident. HR issues could be considered serious incidents.

Some of the incidents I've dealth with:

Heart Attack(s) 1 death 1 recovery
Injury that resulted in having to close the business whilst it was dealt with.
Equipment failure that resulted in closing the business breaking SLA with the local authority,
Ceiling Collapse.
Fire.
Gas Leak.
Sexual Assault allegation.
Missing Child.
Suspected Child Abuse.
Break Ins.
Theft by employees (significant sums of money)
Theft by robbery.
Bomb Threats.

The incident itself isnt that important, its having procedures in place to deal with it, ie, the SIMP.
My God, you've seen it all!!

But I agree with you; an incident becomes a major problem is there are no procedures in place.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Just to point out that Stephen's experiences aren't that strange, I could add:

Two fires + dozens of false alarm evacuations.
Two deaths due to heart failure, one stroke, one anaphylactic shock.
Two accidental sprinkler activations.
One flood by damaged external water main.
One child suspected of pricking themselves with a syringe.
One sheet of 2' by 8' plate glass falling five floors onto a pedestrian walkway.
One vehicle collision.
Multiple thefts by employees.
Two riots.
Four total failures of refrigeration, costing around £30-40K each time.

All in one M&S, over a ten year period.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

witsd wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 pm Just to point out that Stephen's experiences aren't that strange, I could add:

Two fires + dozens of false alarm evacuations.
Two deaths due to heart failure, one stroke, one anaphylactic shock.
Two accidental sprinkler activations.
One flood by damaged external water main.
One child suspected of pricking themselves with a syringe.
One sheet of 2' by 8' plate glass falling five floors onto a pedestrian walkway.
One vehicle collision.
Multiple thefts by employees.
Two riots.
Four total failures of refrigeration, costing around £30-40K each time.

All in one M&S, over a ten year period.

What's your industry? If you don't mind me asking, how did you deal with the deaths? Did you have to prove that it wasn't due to the work being carried out that the staff passed away? And what about the refrigeration failure? £30-40k is a lot of money!

I guess that the longer your work in H&S, the stranger the events you will come across.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

That was all from when I was doing H&S in a branch of Marks and Spencer.

The deaths and stroke were all customers, and all were fairly old. Thankfully the worst that ever happened to a member of staff were non-life-threatening head injuries and similar.

With the deaths, the ambulance staff were careful not to pronounce the people dead until they were off site, which I believe helped a lot with the paperwork - in fact, most of my time afterwards was spent making sure that the first aiders involved were properly looked after.

With the fridges, it was utter, utter chaos, despite the company obviously being large enough and well insured enough to take that hit.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

witsd wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 pm That was all from when I was doing H&S in a branch of Marks and Spencer.

The deaths and stroke were all customers, and all were fairly old. Thankfully the worst that ever happened to a member of staff were non-life-threatening head injuries and similar.

With the deaths, the ambulance staff were careful not to pronounce the people dead until they were off site, which I believe helped a lot with the paperwork - in fact, most of my time afterwards was spent making sure that the first aiders involved were properly looked after.

With the fridges, it was utter, utter chaos, despite the company obviously being large enough and well insured enough to take that hit.
I used to work for one of the companies that supplied refrigeration to M&S (and other supermarkets). Refrigeration companies worst nightmare to hear a whole store has gone down. Queue a race against time to get contractors and engineers to site!
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Blackstone wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 amI used to work for one of the companies that supplied refrigeration to M&S (and other supermarkets). Refrigeration companies worst nightmare to hear a whole store has gone down. Queue a race against time to get contractors and engineers to site!
During one situation where an engineer had visited, said everything was okay and left, followed by a major failure a few hours later we actually had the refrigeration company's boss' son turn up in person on his motorcycle.

Was certainly entertaining to see the top tier management panicking for once.
sakura999
Student
Student

Post by sakura999 »

witsd wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:58 pm
Blackstone wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 amI used to work for one of the companies that supplied refrigeration to M&S (and other supermarkets). Refrigeration companies worst nightmare to hear a whole store has gone down. Queue a race against time to get contractors and engineers to site!
During one situation where an engineer had visited, said everything was okay and left, followed by a major failure a few hours later we actually had the refrigeration company's boss' son turn up in person on his motorcycle.

Was certainly entertaining to see the top tier management panicking for once.
Even the mighty get humbled when safety is involved!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy