Refuge points / Temporary waiting spaces

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

clio222
Student
Student

Refuge points / Temporary waiting spaces

Post by clio222 »

Hi all, question around Refuge Points / Temporary Waiting Spaces.

Firstly are these the same ?.

I have always used the term "Refuge Points" however on looking for the specification of these (Building Standards Technical Handbook 2023) it makes reference to Temporary Waiting Spaces, just wondering if this is the correct terminology that I should be using ?.

Thanks in advance
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Refuge points / Temporary waiting spaces

Post by Messy »

It seems to be the same, but a Scottish v the rest of us thing (like battered Mars bars)

'Refuge' south of the border
Temporary Waiting Spaces' north of the border

Frankly neither explain their use in terms of they are designed for emergencies
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Speaking as someone who moved from London to Glasgow, who gives a flying hoot what you call anything, so long as it does the job?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

witsd wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:08 pm Speaking as someone who moved from London to Glasgow, who gives a flying hoot what you call anything, so long as it does the job?
whilst I get the gist of what you mean, I would expect a judge to 'give a flying hoot' to what you call something, if anything ever ended up in court :shock:

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

WillPool wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:16 am
witsd wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:08 pm Speaking as someone who moved from London to Glasgow, who gives a flying hoot what you call anything, so long as it does the job?
whilst I get the gist of what you mean, I would expect a judge to 'give a flying hoot' to what you call something, if anything ever ended up in court :shock:

Will .salut
Really though? So long as what you were doing was logical and you were able to justify your decisions, I really, really doubt any rational judge is going to throw the book at you for using the wrong term unless there's evidence that you were doing so for some nefarious purpose.

Is there any suggestion that this has happened previously?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Hi all

Been a while :wave:

Interesting topic as this is a massive issue we face currently with residential developments.

We await final BS documents like BS9991 and evacuation lift BS EN to be published, however we have the London Plan which say one thing and Approved Document B Volume 1 say something totally different.

Refuge areas and EVC systems installed when the building is unmanaged, the not knowing the difference between rescue and evacuation (rescue falls under FRS responsibility , when does an evacuation turn into a rescue?) all become a headache for RP

Some may say for 'stay put' developments, the evacuation element stops when the resident has left and closed FED to their flat, this then turns into a rescue situation as something serious has gone wrong if the flat cannot contain fire/smoke or other residents require to leave building.

If the building acts how it should in a fire, why not use a lift ? especially a FF lift (not been interfaced with detection system)? Until smoke ingress into lift shaft what is the likelihood of fire in flat and lift area at same time? Would the resident be on ground floor way before the FRS turn up?

Developers just install refuge areas with no consideration how it will be managed, then they say FF lifts can be used but are not configured for evacuation and a 2 way comms with no one at the other end (think how long before FRS arrive/set up and complete dynamic RA, poor resident will be waiting for ages before they are reassured).

There a reason why it is not in current ADB for residential.

Interesting times indeed folks
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

hammer1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:00 pm Hi all

Interesting topic as this is a massive issue we face currently with residential developments.

We await final BS documents like BS9991 and evacuation lift BS EN to be published, however we have the London Plan which say one thing and Approved Document B Volume 1 say something totally different.

Refuge areas and EVC systems installed when the building is unmanaged, the not knowing the difference between rescue and evacuation (rescue falls under FRS responsibility , when does an evacuation turn into a rescue?) all become a headache for RP

Some may say for 'stay put' developments, the evacuation element stops when the resident has left and closed FED to their flat, this then turns into a rescue situation as something serious has gone wrong if the flat cannot contain fire/smoke or other residents require to leave building.

If the building acts how it should in a fire, why not use a lift ? especially a FF lift (not been interfaced with detection system)? Until smoke ingress into lift shaft what is the likelihood of fire in flat and lift area at same time? Would the resident be on ground floor way before the FRS turn up?

Developers just install refuge areas with no consideration how it will be managed, then they say FF lifts can be used but are not configured for evacuation and a 2 way comms with no one at the other end (think how long before FRS arrive/set up and complete dynamic RA, poor resident will be waiting for ages before they are reassured).

Great to see you again Hammer. A while or not, you are always welcome. Many thanks for your input on this one. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

hammer1 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:00 pm Hi all

I rarely agree with Colin Todd, but his submission to the Hacket (or Moore-Bick) Inquiry basically said PEEPS and associated processes will not work in general residential blocks

Of course this didn't go down well with the more sensitive types, but he has a point. If the landlord hasn't got anyone on site, managing a 'disabled' evacuation is not viable

Meanwhile the fire safety industry has been left with a raft of advice and standards- much of it overlapping and contrary.

I am not aware of the London Plan. If it provides different standards for the capital, we will end up back in the pre RRO days of local byelaws and confused businesses who have estate across the UK

Sorry to get political but Theresa May stood outside the charred ruins of Grenfell in 2017 and promised change. Its 2024 and people still live in flats clad in unsuitable material, and the confusion in standards that was partly responsible for the fire have been added to by even more confusing legislation, guidance and standards.

The Tories have let the UK down here as they seem distracted by helping the house building and construction material Tory donors than they do helping those at risk

I am so pleased I am not working in residential blocks now and am happy to leave it in the hands of a very small group of capable experts like Hammer
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I am very pleased to be working for a housing association that has dealt with anything close to being combustible cladding. Also being north of the border helps too.

It remains the case that thinking about low-rise amenity blocks takes up a lot more of my thinking time than any of our high-rises.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy