Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Access and Egress, derelict building safety

Post by Steve M »

It's been a while since I have been here, but I know it's always a safe refuge when I need support, so happy to be back.

I have a new short-term contract at a leisure and recuperation centre.

My mind is playing tricks and Google is not my friend.

I have written 2 reports highlighting issues on site, I am OK with the law and requirements for this but I have been asked to highlight the law/regulations that support my conclusions, not just the name of the law but an excerpt from it that proves it.

I have googled, binged, and HSE searched I appear to be getting the same information from different sources that is incorrect anyway.

Challenge 1
the law regarding safe access and egress, I know this is basic certificate level but I can't find the regulation.
Law regarding, car park lighting, it is in a bat conservation area, I have the bat bit covered but general lighting for the safety of car park users.
Law regarding external steps and the requirement for appropriate lighting and use of handrails, steps are more than 1 metre wide.

As a side problem, the owner doesn't like white lines to mark the edge of steps, she wants it as natural as possible, the only fix I can think of so far is to have yellow reflective lines or improved lighting, any ideas appreciated.

Challenge 2
There is a derelict building on the grounds, it is in a secluded area and very restricted access.
What law would ensure suitable warning signage is present?
that access should be restricted with secure fencing, I can only find construction site legislation, how can I link construction sites to derelict buildings regarding the law?
The building itself should be made as safe as reasonably possible, for example, I propose bricking up all entrances.
The law regarding keeping it safe from unauthorised people such as the homeless and children.

Anything is appreciated, looking for
HASAWA, section
Regulations, MHSAW regs, Buildings Regs, Signs and signals reg etc. sections
ACOPS, Name, section.
Industry best practice

I know it's a big ask but this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I believe the owner is receptive to health and safety
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Access and Egress, derelict building safety

Post by Messy »

Challenge 1

SOPs that might help

Approved Doc M relates to access to buildings - and esp disabled persons https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _vol_2.pdf

It mentions parking, but I am not sure how far it goes into lighting

Steps and edges should be highlighted by materials of contrasting colour. It doesnt have to be white or yellow as long, the design just needs to highlight the change (all in ADM)

BS8300 refers to design of a building to meet the needs of disabled persons

Approved Doc K covers protection from falling, collision and impact and includes designing staircases, ladders, ramps, and handrails

Good luck
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

CHALLENGE 1

Great to see you again Steve. .cheers Merry Christmas to you and yours. :wave:

HSWA Section 2 (d) Covers the access and egress Steve.

I remembered this from our Otto and think what you need is within. viewtopic.php?t=6133

I will search through myself.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Thank you for taking the time to reply during your Christmas period.

Thank you Messy
That document resolves not only my initial challenge but many others I have going forward.

Thank you Alexis
That is exactly what I was looking for, basic stuff but I just couldn't find it, consider that page, bookmarked.

PS Alexis, I am still using the CV you created for me many moons ago (plus a few additions), I have been getting loads of interviews but my interview skills are a work in practice.
I am now secure for 3 months, possibly 6.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Steve M wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:17 pm Thank you for taking the time to reply during your Christmas period.

Thank you Messy
That document resolves not only my initial challenge but many others I have going forward.

Thank you Alexis
That is exactly what I was looking for, basic stuff but I just couldn't find it, consider that page, bookmarked.

PS Alexis, I am still using the CV you created for me many moons ago (plus a few additions), I have been getting loads of interviews but my interview skills are a work in practice.
I am now secure for 3 months, possibly 6.
Aww Steve, this is great to hear! clapclap
Hope you are secure for 12 months at least. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy