Reputation More Important Than H&S Say PFI Firm

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Reputation More Important Than H&S Say PFI Firm

Post by Messy »

The wonderful world of PFI continues......

A PFI company providing maintenance in prisons sack workers who complain to the client (prison Governor) about what they perceive as a significant H&S (and security) risk. The PFI Firm (Amey) give evidence to a tribunal that the workers actions could have damaged their reputation.

There is no mention whether the HSE are to take any action

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-43350287
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Reputation More Important Than H&S Say PFI Firm

Post by witsd »

Wow. Something we all know most companies think, but it's refreshing for them to pretty much state it outright.

:roll:
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

They've not said any such thing.
They've made a decision to carry out work in a certain way, two employees have disagreed with that and have made the company look bad by going to people outside the company. They got fired for it. The company went about things in the wrong way.

That doesnt mean their health and safety was poor. It doesnt mean they put their reputation before health and safety concerns (though i have no doubt they do this as every signle company i have ever worked for does this).

It means they dont have an effective process for dealing with employee disputes.

On the face of it, you could think health and safety was poor as we only hear the negatives from the employees on the matter. We have no details at all. Also, to suggest that two guys in their 60's working together would stop prisoners taking thier tools - give over, it's utterly ludicrous to suggest that this is an appropriate way to keep tools out of the hands of prisoners.

I suspect in reality prisoners would never come in to contact with these guys, or if they did they would be supervised by prison guards. If thats not happening then thats a failing of the prison not the other company.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

At the very least it looks as though either no risk assessment has been completed prior to the switch from pairs to lone work, or that an RA has been completed, but the workers were not involved to a great enough extent. I am of course, reading between the lines so it may be that all was correctly weighed up and this isn't yet another case of staffing being cut to dangerously low levels in order to maximise profits.

I know what I'd be betting on though, if I were a gambling man.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

In my opinion a risk assessment would have been done.

I cant envision a need for two workers for simple maintenance tasks and certainly not for safety reasons as safety MUST be the responsibility of the prison service and the prison service alone. You can't expect a leccy and a plumber to be trained to properly handle prisoners. The concept is ludicrous.

I suspect these two were just bumbed out they couldnt work and chat at the same time.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

You may be right Stephen but I work in a lot of high security premises, and avoiding lone working is not an unusual control measure.

I am not so sure your assumption is correct as the whole issue of PFI maintenance to Govt premises is fraught with problems as these companies squeeze every penny out of the contract to improve profits.

The Crown Premises Fire Inspection Group have highlighted significant issues with failing standards in PFI contracts - particularly in prisons. This is why they are targeting these areas as a priority.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy