Riddor Reporting

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Trigga100

Riddor Reporting

Post by Trigga100 »

We have an employee who went on the sick on 9th Jan having "hurt his shoulder" at work and has been signed off by his doctor since, he has finally sent me through details of how the incident occurred to put in the accident book and his account reads as total rubbish to me, he never mentioned the incident to anyone on the supposed day it happened despite being at work for a further 5 hours after the incident but said he was going to the gym that evening to another employee as he left. He rang the next morning to tell me that he was going to the doctors

Do I Riddor report it despite the fact I am pretty sure he is trying it on?? I think I probably do but I don't want to if I don't have to
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Re: Riddor Reporting

Post by Coldrop »

If he left site before notifying you of his injury, then I personally wouldn't entertain it

I used to get lots of injuries on Monday mornings (usually from rugby and football played over the weekend but claimed they happened in the first hour of Monday morning)

Hopefully you have in your procedures that an employee must report an injury before leaving on the same day?
Also, take statement from the other employee about the trip to the gym
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Initiate an investigation.
If he's lieing initiate a diciplinary hearing.
Don't be afraid to RIDDOR it. I dont understand why people are scared of RIDDOR. I always see a reluctance to RIDDOR as a sign a company knows they are dodgy.
Trigga100

Post by Trigga100 »

I did Report it in the end but added onto the statement at the end that we did not believe that it was genuine and are investigating.

I am not scared of RIDDOR reporting it is a part of running a business, it was more the fact that I didn't want to legitimize his claim when I am sure it is at best embellished and at worst totally fabricated.
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

I would have also reported this under RIDDOR following an investigation into the alleged accident. I wouldn't have put my opinions in the report, just the mere facts. They will be able to read between the lines and easily detect the nature of it.
Jmac17

Post by Jmac17 »

Hi Guys,

Should doctors lines or sick lines be taken into account when submitting a RIDDOR report?

The reason I ask is that annually we have a few employees who claim to be unable to work due to injuries suffered at work but we never hear from medical professionals. Its as if the employees diagnose themselves.

Recently we reported an injury due to an employee walking into a shutter door. As soon as the incidient occurred the employee was taken to A+E and discharged later as fine and told to rest. He told the shift manager this and said he would be back to work the next day.
This was over 2 weeks ago and has been off work since, and now hes claiming he was concussed and is being sent for various scans and feels unwell due to the injury but he has not brought a doctors line or appointment card to keep us updated. We're just taking him for his word.

John
Juan Carlos
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by Juan Carlos »

Hi John,

Yes the doctors diagnosis could be included in the RIDDOR report for completeness, however, this will not always be possible as there will be some occasions when you will need to report even without a doctors note as the first 7 days could be self-diagnosis and doesn't need a "fit note". Annoying as it might be, we all have to report "accidents" that in the back of our minds don't amount to the alleged injury etc. But the only thing we can do is to be as comprehensive with the investigation as possible and report, again, as factually as possible. Also, if needed, work with your HR department to lend a helping hand to the chap in terms or recuperation through occ health. Don't forget you have 15 days to report to RIDDOR so don't rush into providing the report. Take your time looking into root causes and correcting any issues as required, in that way, by the time you send the report over, it will be evident that the accident investigation was well carried out and any issues are in hand.
dynamo_rosco

Post by dynamo_rosco »

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I'm new to the forum and can't work our how to start a new thread.

I have an employee to was driving the company car on her day off when it broke down. She was assisted by a third party and got out to push the car to attempt a rolling start. She fell while doing this and badly damaged her knee's. Should this go in the accident book and be reported? My initial thoughts were that it wouldn't as the injury was not caused by her work activity nor was it during a working day.
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi Dynamo,

I would say that you have answered your own question.
Not at work = no need to report.

SS
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi dynamo. :wave:

A very warm welcome to HSfB. :D

Agree with Smurf, however, I would ask why the vehicle broke down in the first place.

if the vehicle has not been serviced as it should be, or a suspected fault was reported and was not corrected by your organisation, then this would throw a different light on things. Being the company vehicle, the organisation is responsible for vehicle maintenance and any repairs required as you will know.

Maybe have a look at the vehicle policy to be sure.

Good to have you join us. :D
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jmac17

Post by Jmac17 »

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I just tried to include as much info as I could regarding the immediate action taken and steps taken since the incident. Its was the first time I've had to deal with a RIDDOR report myself and to be honest I found it quite daunting. I think some people seem to think reporting injuries is almost a mark against them and take it as a personal failing.

Thanks again,

John
Juan Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 pm Hi John,

Yes the doctors diagnosis could be included in the RIDDOR report for completeness, however, this will not always be possible as there will be some occasions when you will need to report even without a doctors note as the first 7 days could be self-diagnosis and doesn't need a "fit note". Annoying as it might be, we all have to report "accidents" that in the back of our minds don't amount to the alleged injury etc. But the only thing we can do is to be as comprehensive with the investigation as possible and report, again, as factually as possible. Also, if needed, work with your HR department to lend a helping hand to the chap in terms or recuperation through occ health. Don't forget you have 15 days to report to RIDDOR so don't rush into providing the report. Take your time looking into root causes and correcting any issues as required, in that way, by the time you send the report over, it will be evident that the accident investigation was well carried out and any issues are in hand.
DennisH
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Retail Distribution/Manufacturing

Post by DennisH »

I’m with Coldrop, i wouldn’t report it as I dint think it meets the critieria under Riddor. I would make a note on within the pack as to my rationale behind it, all of this following the return to work when more probing questions and re-enactments and of course getting their understanding accident, incident reporting.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy