Moderator: Moderators

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Nanny State

Post by grim72 »

Next time someone accuses you of being over zealous or complains that H&S is OTT bureaucracy it might be worth considering the alternative. This is a damning overview of the effects that one person can have on the safety of workers across an entire nation. I've not verified all of the claims made in the report but if true that is absolutely staggering.

I'd like to think that if a UK politician tried to do similar that common sense would prevail.

https://aflcio.org/2018/1/18/donald-tru ... -dangerous
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Nanny State

Post by Messy »

Wow!

Even taking into account this information is published by a Union run website so may be somewhat biased, it does look like a wish list drawn up by a group of drunk businessmen on a Friday night in order to reduce their 'burden' and make more ££££££s, Dreadful
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Yup I thought the same about being somewhat 'biased' but if all true then hard to get your head around some of those decisions. In fairness nothing should really surprise me by now when it comes to this guy but when I saw this it can only further strengthen my views on him.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh »

More "fake news" I hope.

Donald Trump is a business man first and foremost and he knows the cost of accidents etc. in relation to business success / reputation etc. I cant believe this is his plan

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

ddlh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm More "fake news" I hope.

Donald Trump is a business man first and foremost and he knows the cost of accidents etc. in relation to business success / reputation etc. I cant believe this is his plan

Dave
:sign5:
That's exactly the problem. Penalties in the USA are so low, there is no incentive to work safely; all Trump has done is water down an already poor system. think back 100+ years, did the vast majority of factory owners want safety laws? Wasn't child labour cheap?
Just search for OSHA penalties and see how low they are.
When was I out in Nevada, their OSHA was so bad, the Federal OSHA ripped into them.https://www.osha.gov/dcsp/final-nevada-report.html
Just take a look at the list of bullet point highlights!!
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy