Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Want greater exposure? Here's a 75% discount code for all paid packages - HSfB17

Health and Safety Management

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

QHSEAdmin

Health and Safety Management

Post by QHSEAdmin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

So this is my first post I'd appreciate it if you could be kind,

My question is what are the actual real world applicable duties of this who work in Health and Safety?

i will present 2 scenarios, for each scenario the object is to state what a qualified H&S Manager (top of the org chart) should do and what a H&S administrator with minimal experience and entry level qualifications in H&S (Bottom of the org chart), feel free to add other levels H&S operatives in.

Some Background I suppose would also help,

An engineering company with 200 plus employees and 5 sites, internal logistic capabilities delivering parts to the marine industry.

Scenario one:

a company install cantilever racking in a warehouse say 4 trees, one tree on the end is taken down due to changing circumstances. Later the decidion is taken to reinstall the tree but only use one side of it.

The operations manager who is responsible for the reinstallation has issue with this becuase of balancing issues and asks for health and Safety review. they have done no research except for have a look at the area and not have a good feeling.

Scenario two:

a warehouse operative is handling a 25kg box, he using manual handling to move the box short distance to then place it on a sack barrow. when he places the box on the sack barrow on the sack barrow tilts forwards and hits him on the nose causing a small cut which he reports to his Manager, who then tell him that it is a H&S safety issue so to report it to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------- End----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, I'm not looking for an anaylsis of the accident, root cause, corrective action or any of that, what I'm looking for is what the responsibilities and duties of a H&S Manager and a responsibilities and duties of a H&S Administrator. it would also be good to know what the responsibilities of the managers in these scenarios are.

Now internet Gods i pass it to you and like I said at the start please be kind.

stephen1974
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Health and Safety Management

Post by stephen1974 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 am

What's in a title? Health and Safety Manager/Administrator could mean exactly the same thing. Its whats in their job description that matters.

Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Re: Health and Safety Management

Post by Steve M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am

stephen1974 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 am
What's in a title? Health and Safety Manager/Administrator could mean exactly the same thing. Its whats in their job description that matters.
Pretty much this, you also have the organisation structure to take into consideration, some companies employ an administrator and expect them to do everything just so they can pay them less, some don't bother with a specific post and just expect office staff to do it.
Some employ a manager so they can have someone to blame when it goes wrong.

Some appreciate the importance of keeping their staff safe and have a propper H&S team with designated roles.

Health, Environment and Risk Training - for all your NEBOSH, IOSH and in-house training. Contact us for excellent consultancy rates

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy