Window Restrictors

Have you recently had a safety moment? Share it in here and help raise awareness, start a conversation, encourage people to talk about HSE, spread the word! It might just save a life!

Moderator: Moderators

timg
Student
Student

Window Restrictors

Post by timg »

Hi,

I am looking at this subject in relation to hotels and am looking for in particular any audit formats / risk assessment formats that have been used specifically to cover this issue - no need for generalised risk assessment forms just want anything anyone may have developed to cover falls from windows and use of window restrictors.

Many thanks.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Window Restrictors

Post by bernicarey »

Hi timg
Not sure I'm following what you're after.
In a Carlsberg moment (other beers are available), it's probably the simplest of Risk Assessment.

Hazard - Window opens to large enough aperture that child or other person could fall from window.
Solution - Fit restrictive device to window.
.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

timg
Student
Student

Post by timg »

Hi,

Thanks for that - made me smile!

Yes I suppose in truth you are quite correct.

Forget this post feel free to delete it!

Thanks!
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

timg wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 pm Hi,

Thanks for that - made me smile!

Yes I suppose in truth you are quite correct.

Forget this post feel free to delete it!

Thanks!
Look at the wording under the heading of this page:

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

I would suggest that it is stupid and daft NOT to ask a H&S question if you are not sure!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Hi timg

It's certainly not a 'Daft Question', as I said, I wasn't sure what you were after.

We get many questions asked where it made sense to the person writing it, but wasn't clear to those reading it.

Perhaps you were 'over thinking' the perceived hazard, perhaps you thought it was easy but didn't have the confidence in your own thoughts.
There can be a multitude of reasons why people ask questions, even the ones where they themselves later go 'Dohh, why didn't I think of that.'

In a hotel situation, I wouldn't even have this as a specific RA, it would just be part of the overall H&S Policy, a paragraph that say, something like:

Windows - The hotel will restrict the opening of all windows for safety and security reasons. This will prevent falls and also increase customers security.

If you have a particular issue about windows, please ask away. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Not a daft question - see link to HSE guidance: http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/falls-windows.htm and http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hsis5.pdf Although this is related to health care you could easily migrate many of the points to a hotel where children may be a concern.

Of course fitting restrictors is one thing - ensuring they are in good working condition is another - as per this case which resulted in a £400k fine, so I'd suggest regular checks of restrictors might also be worth considering once they have been installed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4407978.stm
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy