Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Who Buys the Work Boots?

Post by Siblo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Guys

OK I know I have to provide my workers with PPE ( boots included), but I am looking for a better way to do it.

We used to provide a basic chukka boot, or if someone found them unwearable we would get the m a better one (slightly better)

Than after complaints of favouritism we then allowed people to buy their own boots and gave them £20 when they brought in the receipt.

Now it seems some of these purchased boots are wearing out quickly and people need new boots, however, management are reluctant to stump up more cash. (boots bought by staff were purchased from all manner of places)

I'm now looking at providing vouchers for a famous and well known diy store who do a wide selection of footwear, that way I know where they are from and know they can be returned.

What do other people do, is it just me finding this more problematic than it should be.

Looking forward to advice or opinions

Thanks in advance

Siblo

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Civils/Telecommunications

Re: Who Buys the Work Boots?

Post by WillPool » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 am

We provide suitable PPE as required in the workplace.

If they want better or different than we provide then they buy them submit the receipt and we refund the difference.

However our policy stipulates that boots (even purchased by the employee) must meet applicable standards

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Will.

We were doing a similar thing, the problem arrises when the items (boots) wear out and are no longer fit for purpose.

Some of the "posher" more expensive boots that some have bought are just not as hard wearing, and so do not last, despite fulfilling all the required standards.

The managers point is that if they had worn the recommended boots they would not have worn out, so they should buy replacements.

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Civils/Telecommunications

Post by WillPool » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Understand your predicament.

It is a hard one.

The only caveat that may work is an entitlement clause. "You are entitled to one pair of boots per period (insert normal longevity of provided boots)' and pad that out with an explanation.

Feedback and consultation may also give you some pointers as to why they dont want your supplied boots.

In one job previously the boots were top of the range and the company bought them (+£100 a pair) and there were never any issues. However that particular company were bought into buying and employing the best and within reason cost was no issue.

It maybe worth looking at the average additional outlay and up the cost of boots to that and trial some boots your management would be willing to fund, if you can sell them the benefits of one type of boots/longevity versus a smaller outlay.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)