Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

dottypen
Student
Student

polish

Post by dottypen »

Hi Guys
i had to give an induction to a young polish lad this morning he could speck some english but i am not sure how much he understood me. I have put my induction onto powerpoint as the pictures are in all languages but the writing is not. Is there anybody know where i could get my powerpoint put into polish.
if only safety was first and chance was second
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

Most online translators I have seen are more likely to give him a laugh rather than communicate your message but you could try this one:

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o ... &to=Polish
dave247
Dangerous Dave
Dangerous Dave
Industry Sector: Waste

Post by dave247 »

Hi Dotty, PM me your e-mail. I cant help with the power point problem but i have something for manual handling training that may help.

Dave
For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found
AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ »

One long term way to go is a proper translation service where you send them you presentation and they send you a translated copy back. That way the nuances of the language as well as the literal translation get included.

One tip - ask them to send it back as a pdf ass well as ppt or whatever file format you have it in. I often found problems where it was correctly translated but then as the Polish language pack wasn't installed on my computer it mucked about with the characters creating gibberish in parts.
Frankie C
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Frankie C »

Dotty,
The HSE have provided several of their leaflets in different languages, including Polish.
Try these sites:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/languages/index.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workers/hse27.htm

I hope this is of use to you,
Frankie C
"You must give some time to your fellow man"
Albert Schweitzer 1875 - 1965

http://www.indicator.co.uk/en/domains/d ... hp?domid=6
dottypen
Student
Student

Post by dottypen »

:D Cheers guys :D
if only safety was first and chance was second
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Scriptographic publications

Post by acko 338 »

We instigated Scriptographic to translate their normal manual handling booklet into Polish for our work force requirements.

We also employ a translator for our Pole workforce for technical translations. They must gain an agreed level of English speech and writing in six months to become full time employees, not just agency workers - lessons provided free of charge twice weekly to help them !

A useful document, as is a translated safety induction document, but don't forget the Polish basic concept of H&S is totally different to ours - they will graft in most situations because they need the money to support families back home.

If you will not lift something up , the next man will and take your pay.

They haven't got round to protection for the workforce membership in many home situations there.

When telling them that we have a legal duty under our laws to protect them, they break into fits of laughter - not a known concept for them !

They will also produce C/V's that make them out to be time served everythings - one guy is a skilled fitter, welder, electrician, locksmith etc with only three years full training from leaving college - according to his agency C/V.

Time served means how long they watched someone doing the job before they had a go themselves in many circumstances.

Take them only at face value and give trade tests before letting them loose - some ARE very good, but others are pure chancers trying to gain employment by any means to legally support families, and you can't blame them for trying.

Also watch out for signs of tiredness from extra work done at nights and weekends to further their funds.

Working time directive - never heard of that in Poland !!

Just a few hints gained from recent practical experiences - a good learning curve for me , personally !
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
Chris Baker
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Training and advisory
Location: Barrow in Furness to work but Sunny Morecambe to live

Post by Chris Baker »

Found on the HSE website some documents translated:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/languages/polish/index.htm
"The author himself is the best judge of his own performance, none has so deeply meditated on the subject, none is so sincerely interestedin the event."
Edward Gibbons 1737 - 1794
SKIPPYG
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by SKIPPYG »

Thnkfully I do not have this problem any more, be it that I traded it for some thing worse. Another day for that one.

Given that you have the paper work converted to polish, you use a translator, are you compliant??

How do you know (prove)said polish worker can read and that he has understood what he has read.

If things go wrong can you prove that the handbook was suffice and that it was understood.

If you have on site signage, do you have polish versions that they understand. Can they understand all the wrning signage that comes on site.

If you accept there is a difference between between communication and training how do you over come this problem.

On day one of employment, as none speaker of english how do your emergency procedures cope with the fact that said Pole could not understand an English verbal warning of danger.

just a few of many examples, you can come up with lots more problems on site created by language.

When I looked at it, for a none speaker of english, I could not effectively provide the same level of safety.

My own opinion was that if they did not have a good command of the english language then they did not come on site as it was not possible to comply with H&S, the risk controls would not be strong enough to prevent an incident. If it went to court then we would get blown to bits as there would be far to many loop holes for lawyers with hindsight to explore.

How do you get around this problem, or do you just use a polish handbook/translator and this is reasonable & practicle hence not a prolem.

garry
Still a Pompadour, Up the 44th
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Our site administrator is Polish and has the technical translation pack on her pc - she does the induction translations and all paperwork is in both Polish and English, both filed in that person's training file together with signatures on both copies.

No accidents so far in eight months and the level of English use and understanding is vastly improving from lessons provided free on site after hours.
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
kefallon

Post by kefallon »

SkippG
Same sentiments as you we cannot guarantee that non English speaking workers have enough understanding of our systems which are numerous as we are top tier COMAH, GMP as well as normal Construction site safety.
Did all the translation the contractor who supplied them had an agreement with the Polish agency who supplied them that they would translate everything we required which is all well and good.
BUT
How do they read and understand the PTW and risk assessments/method statements they are working to. Attempted the buddying up business but that was not really a viable option for the contractor as it provided him with commercial issues.
All in all we request all foreign workers must be able to read and understand English to a level where we are satisfied they can understand all that is necessary.
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Post by HelenPJ »

If you have foreign workers on Site (and top marks for efforts put in by acko btw) my query is:

How can you really tell how much they have taken in/understood if you do not (yourself) speak their language?
:?
My take on this is that there are enough literacy/numeracy problems with UK workforce :shock: , so how can you tell a foreign worker can read, write & understand their own language... :?:

Not having a go, just a nasty thort :?

Really approve of the English lessons on site - way to go 8) - pity more employers do not take this route, as it not only helps with safety but must also improve their quality of life while working here too 8) 8) 8)
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy