Accident book

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

sly79
The Groover
The Groover

Accident book

Post by sly79 »

does anyone know if it is a legal requirement to have an accident book? when accident reports are currently used for every type of accident?

Sly
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/simon-holmes/13/664/921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Construction/Major Power

Post by Woodie »

HSE Accident Book
HSE's accident book, launched in May 2003 in conjunction with the Department of Work and Pensions has replaced the previous version of form B1510. The form has been completely redesigned, making it easier for your to fill in and keep, with individual record sheets that allow you to keep workers' personal details confidential to meet the privacy requirements of the Date Protection Act 1998.

As well as the accident report forms, the book also contains lots of useful information on how to manage health and safety in your workplace, plus information about employers' duties under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR).

The Information Commissioner, who is responsible for regulating data protection legislation, supports HSE's promotion of accident books which protect the privacy of people who have had accidents at work. The use of tear off pages and secure procedures, by ensuring privacy, can only help encourage people to report accidents. It is worth clarifying however that it is not the introduction of specific legislation which has triggered this change, and neither is there any specific deadline for action. It is more a growing recognition that people have a right to privacy, especially in respect of information about health.

The Information Commissioner does therefore encourage the use of accident books which protect the privacy of people and encourages employers to look at their procedures. Where complaints about compliance with the Data Protection Act are made to the Information Commissioner, these will be judged on their individual merits. The Information Commissioner is unable to approve individual schemes or accident books but can provide advice.

Might not answer your question, but it is from the HSE

In my own company, everything is reported

The legal requirements for recording and reporting accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents at work are laid down in the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, the Social Security Administration Act 1992 and the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) 1995.
Truth never damages a cause that is just. GANDHI (1869-1948)

http://nott-us.co.uk/
Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

Post by Gladiator »

Sly

in short; yes. You are required to keep an accident book under The Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979.

All accidents to employees and visitors to your premises should be recorded in the accident book, no matter how small. This way you can identify accident trends and identify minor accidents that could have been more serious and take steps to prevent similar occurrences.

You must ensure that your accident book complies with the Data Protection Act 1998. I suggest to you that on the very rare occasion ;) you need to make an entry you comply by removing the completed page and file it in the persons confidential and individual file.

You need not use the HSE BI 510 book as long as the one you have complies.

The current edition of the Accident Book BI 510 was issued in May 2003 by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which is sponsored by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). This publication will allow you to comply with legal requirements to record accidents at work. HSE and DWP has, as a result of subsequent advice and consultation with employers, Trade Unions and others, decided to redesign the Accident Book and publish a new version on the 11th October 2004. This will help organisations overcome any confusion about the requirements of both keeping personal information in confidence and enabling information to be disclosed for preventative purposes.

This book also contains guidance on the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 and the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.

You probably have this information but if you require the latest edition which complies with the DPA, here it is.Copies of The HSE accident Book (BL510 (Second edition), are priced (put the at thingy in here) £5.70 plus VAT from HSE Books and are available by the following methods:
By post HSE Books, PO Box 1999, Sudbury, Suffolk, United Kingdom. CO10 2WA
By telephone 01787 881165
Or order via their website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/accident-book.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the above is ok for you Sly?

Take care

Glad
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Sorry Woodie, was half way through answering for Sly and the phone went and someone wanted a quick meet I forgot to refresh before I posted. I would have seen your reply then, durr, what am I like?

Glad
sly79
The Groover
The Groover

Post by sly79 »

I need to clarify,

At present the company i work for complete and accident report form for any accident minor of more serious, these reports go into a folder in SHE dept, with limited access. however we do not use an accident book as such. thats what i am getting at, so yes every accident is recorded, reported where need be under RIDDOR and investigated etc but we don't have an accident book in the normal type of format :D

Sly
Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/simon-holmes/13/664/921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Sly

As long as the accident reporting procedure complies with the current requirements for the recording of an accident you are fine. I would ask you; who designed the procedure and where did you obtain the pro forma for accident reporting? If you are satisfied it meets with current requirements then you are fine. You also need to be certain that the employees fully understand how your system works.

G
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman

Post by Woodie »

You beat me to it this time Glad!!!!!

Ms B
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Ms B »

Hello All

I know this seems a bit cheeky, but when I saw this thread I thought I would ask Gladiator if he had access t The legal requirements for recording and reporting accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents at work are laid down in the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, the Social Security Administration Act 1992? If you do Gladiator could you please direct me to where I could get a copy?

Many thanks

Ms B
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Ms B

Not sure quite what you need. The earlier ref was made to legislation covering the need for an accident book or system. RIDDOR is an all together different thing, perhaps i have misunderstood your request, once you clarify I would be delighted to help you.

G
Woodie
Master Craftsman
Master Craftsman

Post by Woodie »

Last edited by Woodie on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ms B
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Ms B »

I do apologise, that's what comes of doing too many things at once. Here goes, Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979, the Social Security Administration Act 1992 I could do with reading the sections that are relevant to the reporting and recording of accidents, these regulations are mentioned in the blue nebosh book that comes with the diploama material, but I cant' sem to find these.

Thank you again.
Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Sorry Ms B must be getting thick in my old age. I see however a brighter one than me has understood your question and answered it superbly.

Glad (more muscles less brain power) :lol:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy