water

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

james.t

water

Post by james.t »

hi I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if there was any advice on water disposal from water butts that have been used for kentledge on scaffolding. it has been stood for 6 months. a different health and safety manager said it would need disposing of by a waste water company as it would be considered contaminated. The only guidance I can find is that it can be stored for up to 6months in 1000 litre containers for drinking an and that if you suspect its contaminated you should drain and refill. Is it ok to drain to a fowl water drain as this goes to treatment anyway?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: water

Post by WillPool »

Hi James.t, welcome to the forums :wave:

Water that has stood as ballast, as I understand it maybe put down a drain, however, that is if there are no other contaminants in it.

Usually, if there is any oil or other hazardous elements within it, or if there is something (acidic or alkali) that may alter the Ph status at treatment, then it cannot be put into a drain.

There may be other environmental considerations in place locally, but you would need to check with your local EHO.

Hope that helps ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy