Doing Iosh managing safely this week. Career advice needed

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

Andyshropshire456

Doing Iosh managing safely this week. Career advice needed

Post by Andyshropshire456 »

Ok so I’m doing the Iosh managing safely course this week as a step towards a health and safety career.
My background is mainly manufacturing and forklift based to team leader standard. I have made numerous H&S suggestions over my career and look at that as a future career path.
So my question is upon completing the course do I apply for junior h&s jobs advertised or apply for team leader positions and do further study? Nebosh for example?
How many extra health and safety avenues will the Iosh open me up to???
Many thanks from a new member
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Doing Iosh managing safely this week. Career advice needed

Post by WillPool »

Hi Andyshropshire456

Welcome to the forums :wave:

IOSH Managing Safely for me is more for a manger whose main responsibilities are not health & Safety which would allow them to understand what is required, it is a good course and one I would recommend for company management. In a previous company in the Middle East we ensured that all Project Managers completed this course.

On completion of your course, you could apply for junior H&S positions but it is sometimes quite difficult to become a health & safety professional without the NENOSH course. It isnt impossible to get a role with IOSH Managing Safely and industry experience (sometimes having those and being in the right place at the right time can get you the role) but if you check H&S Recruiters websites, they mostly request NEBOSH General Certificate as a minimum with lots more companies now requesting the NEBOSH Diploma.

The IOSH Managing Safely is a good stepping stone to the NEBOSH General Certificate (although some of the IOSH material will be repeated in the Gen Cert). When in the military a lot of people did the IOSH Safely before the NEBOSH as a taster to see if it was the right career choice for them.

Once you complete the IOSH course it may open up a few avenues for you but as previously mentioned employers are mainly looking for people with NEBOSH qualifications.

Hope that helps ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Andyshropshire456

That’s great will thanks.
Pretty much as I expected. Perhaps best route is team leader roles. Do health and safety meetings and study for Nebosh.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hello and Welcome Andy. :wave:

Perfect response from Willpool above as always.

Just as an added thought..... I wonder if there would perhaps be an opening within your current workplace for a Health and Safety Union Representative where you could enhance your future career aspirations! Your employer would also gain from your learning.

H&S Safety Reps are provided with support and training from their specific Union (as I am sure you are aware) and as you seem to already be involved in safety meetings, the more hands-on experience you can gain from your current employment the better. This would also assist in the application of H&S understanding of any future NEBOSH studies you embark upon.

Good to have you aboard and good luck with your chosen path into the H&S World. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Andyshropshire456

Long story but I left me previous employer a while ago due to family bereavement. This is a new start and different direction all in one

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy