Intro and bad working culture( Advice or experiences)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

SLJ95

Intro and bad working culture( Advice or experiences)

Post by SLJ95 »

Hi Everyone

Just taken my first role in health and safety and slightly concerned that there isn't any in the company really.

No top down approach and an outdated H&S management system

Starting to feel very uncomfortable as I am limited as to what I can do from my manager and the culture is non existent.

Fearful of liabilities and looking to leave .

Has anyone came across similar in their careers.

Apologies for the downer :D .
Last edited by SLJ95 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The devil
Student
Student

Re: Intro and bad working culture( Advice or experiences)

Post by The devil »

I've seen this before. They have to appoint a competent person by law in the UK.
But they dont want you to do anything....

Its time you stood up for yourself !

Remind them of this:

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

The main issue is being "new" to role. Its going to take you awhile to find your feet. Your not the only one in this position, my apprenticeship lads finish there training and start throwing the rule book around. Most of the time there just told to just up and get on with the job. I'd love to say everything is always done by the book...but in the real world its not.

My advice would be start with small changes. Make sure you have your first aiders and fire marshals. Its online training and only takes a few hours.
Then start looking at the bigger stuff.

"Liabilities"

If you email a report to a company director or manager and they take no action, your not responsible if things go wrong. You did your job and told them !! Just keep a paper copy of the reports and reply to emails. ( Emails have a nasty habit of disappearing when things go wrong).

And I'm going to post a link to a story to show you what happens when they don't listen:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2019342 ... eath-hove/
WICN1981

Post by WICN1981 »

This is similar to the situation i am in.

I have somewhat agreed to take on the Health and Safety tasks (incorporated in to my current role) of a corporate office which for the past 15 years have not even met the basics! Add to this there is no budget to put me on courses of any kind!

Now Im in somewhat of a low risk environment, but we do have kitchens and we have cleaning storage and we have other aspects that need and should have had risk assessments and COSHH assessments at least!

The staff haven't even had DSE assessments unless they moan about a work station and this isnt a poor company by any means!

This site has helped loads as well as HSE website itself and look at the guidance for you industry. Ive also subscribed to various youtube channels. I also just did a IOSH Managing Safely course just for a general overview!

I have done an audit of what we have at present. I am currently in the process of putting together what we need to do, prioritising what currently in legal terms, we are failing and need to get up to the legal requirement.

Its going to be a long road of sorts, but all I can suggest is look at what you have, look at what you need to get the company to and utilise this site and the good members that do offer great advise!

Good luck fellow newbie!
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

As well as all the good advice above, you can also check out prosecutions in the HSE Website.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/news/index.htm
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I've had this a few times :)

Pick Your Battles
If you make lots of small wins this will reflect well on you and you will start to build your influence to create greater change, but if you fight lots of losing battles, you'll become an unwelcome pain in their Butt who isnt seen as adding benefit to the company.

Cover your Butt
Get every decision they make (good and bad) in writing (email) and send yourself a copy to a private email so if you are droped in the doodoo you have evidence. (Nice for compromise deals, cha ching) Even if its just a conversation, email later and confirm.

Know when to quit.
I've walked from two jobs because of bad health and safety where, as the manager of the building, I carry the responsibility but the owners give me no authority and therefore cant make change. Just walk. Its stressful and if/when something goes wrong, legally you could carry the can but employment wise, you'll definately carry the can. Jump before being pushed.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy