Newbie, need some advice.

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

Ewan1

Newbie, need some advice.

Post by Ewan1 »

Hi, I currently work in H+S at Amazon however have no prior experience/quals. I’ve just recently started studying the nebosh general certificate. So my question is… when I successfully gain the NGC am I on my way for a career in H+S?

I have just turned 23 and stumbled on this potential career path, I am really enjoying the role so far however there is gaps in my knowledge and I have a lot to learn.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You :)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Newbie, need some advice.

Post by Alexis »

Good Morning to you Ewan. :wave:

Well done on having a role within the industry right at the outset of your H&S journey. ./thumbsup.. Not many people have this opportunity which I am sure you are aware.

In answer to your question, you are already on your H&S journey with hands on experience plus H&S studying too! :)

Treasure all the support/information/experience you can glean from whomever is your H&S Officer within your organisation and learn from those who are physically doing tasks on the shop floor. Gain trust from your peers and they will approach you with any problems they may have doubts about.

If someone asks a question that you don't know, just say you don't know adding you will find out and go back to them.

Watch, listen, absorb and learn each day how H&S works in your workplace and apply your study learning accordingly.

Be sure of your facts before putting the H&S label on things and if in doubt, contact a professional for clarification.

You're at a wonderful age to start your H&S career.

Just relax, learn, enjoy and don't alienate anyone with too much too soon H&S spouting. ;)

Look forward to hearing from you along the way Ewan. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Newbie, need some advice.

Post by witsd »

I was kinda the same age working at Marks and Spencer when I fell into H&S, though I didn't do my NEBOSH until life had given me a kick up the backside a while later.

So the answer is pretty much yes, if that's where you want to go with it!

Once you've got your NGC, try not to stop moving - either go for the construction or fire certificates (if you do these much later, you'll have to redo the first part of the NGC which is a little irritating) or plow on with the diploma. If you are lucky, you may be able to find an employer who will pay for the diploma for you, so long as you promise to stay working with them once you have it...
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy