Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Electrical Safety Help

Post by Safety »

Hi all,

this is not my area of knowledge so if anyone can help that would be great:

ECTs (Earth continuity tests) we do complete these - do these results have to be recorded from a legal perspective?
IRTs (Installation resistance tests) we don't do - is there a legal requirement to have these done and record the results?
Is there a legal requirement to have written details of the presence of any RCDs which include the state and condition of any external earth bond. The RCDs are not provided by us but are provided by the customer to which we plug our equipment into.

I am trying to get a clear black and white answer to the above and I'm struggling.....hopefully someone on here can help.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Essex

Re: Electrical Safety Help

Post by Essex »

In what context? Are you taking about building fixed installations or portable appliances?
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

Maintaining and servicing equipment, i.e. industrial bakery equipment
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
Essex

Post by Essex »

Then this falls under PA Testing. The issue is PA Testing is a misleading term. All electrical equipment should be periodically tested and inspected and a record kept to prove compliance.

Insulation resistance should be completed and recorded.

The Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (COPIITEE) will tell you all you need to know.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
Essex

Post by Essex »

In terms of RCD protection then if your equipment needs RCD protection and you are relying on other peoples RCDs and you could either insist on seeing the building owners records of inspections of their RCDs or, which I think is much better just fit RCDs on to your equipment and have your own testing regime.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

A question for Essex in relation to RCDs, which has a bearing on his response above.

I've heard it said by some electricians that you shouldn't double protect an item with RCDs, i.e. have one at the Consumer Unit and then another on the garden exterior socket, as 'they can interfere with each other'.
What's the official line ?
Is there anything documented or is this just typical technical folklore that you encounter?

I most recently heard this earlier this year from the guy wiring my kitchen extension, when I asked him about a feed for an external socket.
He had the chance to charge me for an additional RCD for the outside and didn't take it.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Essex

Post by Essex »

In your example it would be an inconvenience to reset two RCDs following a trip and nothing more. They would not interfere with oneanother. To have an RCD at the CU and at the socket would be pointless.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Thanks Essex.
I was of the same opinion but thought I'd check. ;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy