Personal Noise Risk Assessment

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

toecutter
Student
Student

Personal Noise Risk Assessment

Post by toecutter »

Looking for some pointers, folks. Health surveillance at one of our sites produced a recommendation that we carry out a personal noise risk assessment for an employee with reduced hearing. Noise hazards are already covered in the site Risk and Impact Assessments, and the HSE guidance doesn't mention anything about personal noise RAs for people with reduced hearing, just that ongoing surveillance may be required. I've never been to this site, but I'm told that it isn't unusually noisy. My initial reaction is to have the individual fitted for molded earplugs of a suitable spec such that he can still hear alarms, verbal communication etc, and make sure he undergoes suitable monitoring. Am I doing enough to protect him, or is there more I can do?

Many thanks
Stevie Johnno
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Personal Noise Risk Assessment

Post by Stevie Johnno »

Instead of expensive custom PPE why not modify alarms to have a visual element, rotating Beacon etc? It would cover you if you have any deaf employees or visitors too.
toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter »

Thanks, that's an interesting point. The recommendation from the health surveillance was mostly to do with ensuring the individual's compliant with hearing protection, and to be honest I don't really know exactly what they're getting at. It's almost like they're suggesting I need to make a new RA template for him to use to confirm his hearing protection fits properly and is doing its job rather than take any actual steps to protect him better. If asked what measures we've taken, I'd like to be able to say more than "Oh we got him to tick a box to say his earplugs fit ok"
Steve M
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Warehousing and distribution

Post by Steve M »

Before you can even consider hearing protection you need to know exactly what you are dealing with.

Get a noise survey done, I would suggest you get an outside contractor because it can get very involved if you have several sources of noise.

When you know the maximum noise level, you can then consider what PPE would be suitable to bring the risk down to an acceptable level.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy