Regulations/Guidance Related To Kerosene Heaters In The Workplace

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Regulations/Guidance Related To Kerosene Heaters In The Workplace

Post by Shadmeister »

Any thoughts on this? Obviously flammable substances comes into play and potentially pressure systems but other useful information related to what we should/shouldn't do? Thinking competence requirements when repairing, maintaining and/or servicing but also replacement of parts, ie making own, and best practice.

TIA Shad ☺
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Regulations/Guidance Related To Kerosene Heaters In The Workplace

Post by Messy »

What sort of workplace and why would a kerosene heater be necessary??? I cannot recall when I last saw a paraffin of kerosene heater anywhere :shock: :shock:

It seems to me there are so many safer space heating options available in 2017, I might seek to replace unless there is a good business case to keep it!!
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

A local workshop used to have a fuel oil burner which was used to burn the old engine oils. That stopped a while back and is now using conventional 'clean' oil. The same probably applies to paraffin/kerosene. As above, why not explore alternatives that may well resolve not only the boiler but fuel storage, ventilation etc.
Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

Messy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 am What sort of workplace and why would a kerosene heater be necessary??? I cannot recall when I last saw a paraffin of kerosene heater anywhere :shock: :shock:

It seems to me there are so many safer space heating options available in 2017, I might seek to replace unless there is a good business case to keep it!!
Wish it was that easy Messy but unfortunately its something that has worked well for the company so unless I can prove otherwise, hence me asking the question on here.

Basically need a good business case against it.
Stevie Johnno
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Stevie Johnno »

I used one many years ago in a Garage while rebuilding a Motorcycle and the one thing I found was that the Heater took in vapour from the Genklene product I was using as a de-greaser and gave out noxious fumes causing me to become drowsy....

Not sure about regulations etc but I would imagine that Garden Centres etc might still use them.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Well there's been no mention of the environment in which it's being used, but Stevie has illustrated just one important issue.

So much depends on the environment and where the heated air is going.

I would so want to see a justification for keeping such heaters rather than using a safer alternative.

What sort of Kerosene heater are we speaking of?
Is it for heating a workplace for the employees or some other requirement?
They come in many sizes, from something little like a domestic greenhouse heater up to some 30+KW, heating a huge workshop (or commercial greenhouse).
When you first light them they take a while to settle down and you can get big issues with fumes from un-burnt fuel, giving that traditional paraffin smell, then there is the spillage and fire risk, especially when refuelling.
Not to mention the ventilation requirements to ensure there is enough fresh air, since they are un-vented, so a Carbon Monoxide problem, the Silent Killer, and there's the moisture problem; if I recall correctly for every gallon of paraffin burnt they generate over 1 gallon of water in the air.

And that's just from the top of my head without looking anything up.... :shock:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

bernicarey wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:02 pm Well there's been no mention of the environment in which it's being used, but Stevie has illustrated just one important issue.

So much depends on the environment and where the heated air is going.

I would so want to see a justification for keeping such heaters rather than using a safer alternative.

What sort of Kerosene heater are we speaking of?
Is it for heating a workplace for the employees or some other requirement?
They come in many sizes, from something little like a domestic greenhouse heater up to some 30+KW, heating a huge workshop (or commercial greenhouse).
When you first light them they take a while to settle down and you can get big issues with fumes from un-burnt fuel, giving that traditional paraffin smell, then there is the spillage and fire risk, especially when refuelling.
Not to mention the ventilation requirements to ensure there is enough fresh air, since they are un-vented, so a Carbon Monoxide problem, the Silent Killer, and there's the moisture problem; if I recall correctly for every gallon of paraffin burnt they generate over 1 gallon of water in the air.

And that's just from the top of my head without looking anything up.... :shock:
Hi Berni, thanks for your input. The heaters in this instance are industrial heaters used within a large, open factory environment but TBH all I'm trying to work out is actually which regulations apply, obviously COSHH would come into play, Pressure Vessels due to them involving a heat exchange? Anything else?

If these were gas then it would be simple as there are dedicated regs but is there anything specific for these types of heaters? And, if not what would people use as reference points?

I would personally prefer that an alternative was sourced but that is not currently an option so I just want to do all I can to make sure they are safe (serviced/repaired to the level they need to be) and that we are doing all we need to in the eyes of the law.

:thumbup:
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Shadmeister wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Berni, thanks for your input. The heaters in this instance are industrial heaters used within a large, open factory environment but TBH all I'm trying to work out is actually which regulations apply, obviously COSHH would come into play, Pressure Vessels due to them involving a heat exchange? Anything else?

Well you're one step ahead of me there, I hadn't considered that the Pressure Vessel Regs would apply..... I'll have to look at that some more. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Shadmeister
Student
Student

Post by Shadmeister »

bernicarey wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm
Shadmeister wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 am

Well you're one step ahead of me there, I hadn't considered that the Pressure Vessel Regs would apply..... I'll have to look at that some more. .salut
I sort of stumbled across it :lol:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy