Questions about Emergency Lighting to external fire escape routes.

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

H&S Beginner
Student
Student

Questions about Emergency Lighting to external fire escape routes.

Post by H&S Beginner »

Hi All,

Quick question, I am currently in conversations with a Client, in which I recommended emergency lighting for an external fire escape route (which was not provided) during an inspection I did. After conversations with the Client, their argument is that the site generally closes at 4:30pm and is not utilized after this time and do not wish to invest in this. I am sticking with my opinion, that I believe the EL should be installed regardless. How do you all feel about queries like this? I understand you have to employ some practicality to the situation, but being an escape route I think emergency lighting is essential regardless.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Questions about Emergency Lighting to external fire escape routes.

Post by Messy »

The site generally closes at 4.30. Er... generally? What about those days outside that definition ?

The answer is EL is required " when necessary ". So it's all down to the prevailing circumstances - aka a risk assessment.

If the premises is not occupied in the dark, then there is no need. If it were my client, my report would accept his version of its closed when dark.

I would add a list of winter lighting up times and remind him that any changes to the closing times would trigger a review

My understanding is the latest BS 5266 does not suggest reliance on borrowed light (from neighbouring lighting). Whilst this may be the case for internal rooms relying on street lighting thru Windows, I may make an exception if street lighting lights up external routes adequately.

The stupid thing is, installing an servicing a few bulkhead EL fittings is a cheap as chips. So why RPs so often dig their heels in on such provision is beyond me!
Essex

Post by Essex »

Emergency lighting should lead people to a place of safety. It is up to the designer and the fire officer to decide where that is. On the face of what you said I would agree that EL is required.

The system will need to be designed so that the correct lux levels and uniformity is achieved. Not just a few lights out here and there.
Education is the key. A manager should always stand by their team. They employed them.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I would say that quoting 16:30 as the time the premises is 'generally' vacated by is totally irrelevant.

Lighting Up and Lighting Down times are related to sunrise and sunset times, which for starters around Mid Winter can be in the region of 07:45 and 16:15, but what about dark stormy cloudy days in winter? You might need lighting at 09:20, or 15:20.

I would stuck to my guns on the recommendation and if they chose not to act on it it's their lookout. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

OK, so it's been a week and H&S Beginner hasn't been back to us, but to illustrate the point, it's now 16:05 and pretty dark outside, with quite heavy cloud cover. Not even black Snow clouds just thick fluffy cloud cover ;) ...... .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

:D I had noticed the same!! Never a good idea to cross your fingers and hope it doesn't happen. Especially for a comparatively small amount of ££££££
H&S Beginner
Student
Student

Post by H&S Beginner »

Thanks for the feedback all. I did recommend that they install emergency lighting. The Client understood why when I explained it to them.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy