Crane supervisors

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Southeast15

Crane supervisors

Post by Southeast15 »

Hi Everyone :wave:

I've only just joined but I've been following this group for quite a while now and I have learnt so much, thank you. Its really interesting to read about other industries as well as the one I work in.

I haven't posted before but after a lot of research I'm still struggling with a query and am sure someone on here will be able to help.

I am trying to establish if a qualified lift/crane supervisor is required for a basic lift with an excavator. The AP isn't always based on site but we do always produce a lift plan and ensure there will be a trained slinger/signaller. The lift is carried out daily by the same team of three over a short unobstructed area. It is on construction sites but with no other contractors in the works area.

It would be great to hear people's views on this, as I've got quite confused

Thank you in advance :D
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Crane supervisors

Post by Waterbaby »

Good Morning Southeast15 and welcome to the forum :wave:

Southeast15 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:09 pm
I am trying to establish if a qualified lift/crane supervisor is required for a basic lift with an excavator. The AP isn't always based on site but we do always produce a lift plan and ensure there will be a trained slinger/signaller. The lift is carried out daily by the same team of three over a short unobstructed area. It is on construction sites but with no other contractors in the works area.

It would be great to hear people's views on this, as I've got quite confused

Thank you in advance :D
Those in the know will be along ./thumbsup..

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Southeast15

Post by Southeast15 »

Good Morning Waterbaby

Thanks for your welcome. I'm keeping my fingers crossed someone can help with my query.

:D
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

Hi Southeast

Bit hard to say without knowing what you are lifting, what you are lifting with and the general experience of those carrying out the lifting operation.

In general LOLER requires that loads are:

Planned
Supervised
Carried out in a safe manner

You are obviously planning the lift with the aim of the lift being carried out in a safe manner. To put it simply i would want someone with the skills and knowledge to be able to supervise the lift. You will have to make a judgment whether the slinger/excavator driver or A N Other has that skill set. If the lift goes wrong the HSE will want to determine that there was the correct level of competency.

https://www.cpa.uk.net/assets/js/tinymc ... 090301.pdf

https://www.balfourbeatty.com/media/295 ... ations.pdf see section 15 for information on basic lifts

Hope this helps a bit

QS
Southeast15

Post by Southeast15 »

Hi QS

Thank you so much for coming back to me.

The people undertaking the lifts have been doing so for on average five plus years. We are lifting lightweight wooden formwork from a laydown area to the works area. This is detailed in the lift plan with weights and photos along with the duty charts for the excavator and the lifting accessories we will use.

We are now being asked to provide a lift supervisor (we haven't been asked before).I believe the team are experienced enough to supervise a straight forward lift and we do highlight one member of the team as a supervisor, however I do agree that LOLER requires a competent supervisor. As our supervisor doesn't have a recognised lift supervisor qualification I'm unsure whether we should put them through it or whether their experience and documentation in place is adequate?

If you could provide any further thoughts on this it would be greatly appreciated, as I will need to provide some detailed information to the company, if we now feel we need to put our supervisors through a lift supervisor course.

Thanks
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Post by quality_somerset »

I think for the small cost of sending your excavator driver on a short crane supervisor course would be quite a good thing for the following reasons:

1) You'll be complying with the law, and should something go wrong you will have an audited trail of training

2) Your employees will have greater knowledge

3) You will have greater operational flexibility

4) It will reduce the strain on your existing crane supervisors, especially for very simple lifts

5) You will probably be able to claim part of the training cost back so it will be fairly cost neutral

So if i was in your position i would send one of your team off for some crane supervisor training. Only my humble thoughts.

QS
Southeast15

Post by Southeast15 »

Hi QS

Thank you for the response. I'll put the idea forward and hopefully get the agreement from higher up. It makes sense to put a few through.

Thanks
Safetysmurf
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf »

Hi

CITB also do CPCS lifting with excavator training.

SS

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy