Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Who Buys the Work Boots?

Post by Siblo »

Hi Guys

OK I know I have to provide my workers with PPE ( boots included), but I am looking for a better way to do it.

We used to provide a basic chukka boot, or if someone found them unwearable we would get the m a better one (slightly better)

Than after complaints of favouritism we then allowed people to buy their own boots and gave them £20 when they brought in the receipt.

Now it seems some of these purchased boots are wearing out quickly and people need new boots, however, management are reluctant to stump up more cash. (boots bought by staff were purchased from all manner of places)

I'm now looking at providing vouchers for a famous and well known diy store who do a wide selection of footwear, that way I know where they are from and know they can be returned.

What do other people do, is it just me finding this more problematic than it should be.

Looking forward to advice or opinions

Thanks in advance

Siblo
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Who Buys the Work Boots?

Post by WillPool »

We provide suitable PPE as required in the workplace.

If they want better or different than we provide then they buy them submit the receipt and we refund the difference.

However our policy stipulates that boots (even purchased by the employee) must meet applicable standards

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Thanks for the reply Will.

We were doing a similar thing, the problem arrises when the items (boots) wear out and are no longer fit for purpose.

Some of the "posher" more expensive boots that some have bought are just not as hard wearing, and so do not last, despite fulfilling all the required standards.

The managers point is that if they had worn the recommended boots they would not have worn out, so they should buy replacements.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Understand your predicament.

It is a hard one.

The only caveat that may work is an entitlement clause. "You are entitled to one pair of boots per period (insert normal longevity of provided boots)' and pad that out with an explanation.

Feedback and consultation may also give you some pointers as to why they dont want your supplied boots.

In one job previously the boots were top of the range and the company bought them (+£100 a pair) and there were never any issues. However that particular company were bought into buying and employing the best and within reason cost was no issue.

It maybe worth looking at the average additional outlay and up the cost of boots to that and trial some boots your management would be willing to fund, if you can sell them the benefits of one type of boots/longevity versus a smaller outlay.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Fletcher
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Retired

Post by Fletcher »

At the port we had a system based on basic boot or choose approved boots from our suppliers catalogue (the difference was taken out of employee's pay over a period of 1 to 3 months depending on difference).
Different trades had different rules for length of use expected from boots, riggers 4-6 months, warehouse 9-12 months (if my memory is correct).
As with all systems the majority of staff were ok, some needed special boots because of medical reasons and a small minority were just pains.
We found that once the boots were worn in the guys (especially the riggers) did not want to change them because they were comfortable.
We did monitor and check boots to ensure they were still in good order and fit for purpose.
We had 400 employees so least hassle system was always a good idea with regard to PPE.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Why not identify the brands of boots that are wearing out too quickly and 'blacklist' them?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

This crops up a lot.
The PPE regs require employers to provide suitable PPE if their assessment identifies a need, and to replace as necessary.
Nowhere do the regs say any limitations on cost, how often replace, or any other such nonsense limitations employers come up with.

£20 does not sound very much (a year? a week?). I wouldn't be keen on a £20 pair of boots!
A council I know spends 3 figures on boots for refuse collectors who walk about 8 miles a day.
Does your allowance factor in VAT which of course employer would usually get refunded, but workers don't. So £20 really equals £24.

Specification is critical. Set the standards based on risk, (eg anti slip, waterproof, totector etc etc) identify a range (2-3 options) and devise a method (via procurement) to deal with unusual sizes, or other foot complaints. Then just have managers issue them, and replace as needed. Simple.

Include issue to managers too, maybe, then they will know first hand (or foot) how good and robust the boots actually are.

If they are wearing out 'too quickly' at least that shows people are actually wearing them! What do managers want?
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

This crops up a lot too....

People who don't read the original post properly, then have a rant and try to preach whilst sat behind a desk.

I am the original poster, I work in the factory, I also wear the boots.

Nowhere in the regs does it say I have to provide Timber-House Boots in tan mole skin that cost £160 because they are "better"

I "Can" get boots for £8, but offer a selection of 6 different pairs for a cost of upto £25. Because that's what I can afford.

My original question still stands..

Sorry, rant over.... Its Friday, I'm working in Birmingham, I live in Manchester, and the M6 is shut. pffft
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

"What do other people do, is it just me finding this more problematic than it should be. Looking forward to advice or opinions"

Obviously you didn't really mean any advice or opinions.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

safetylady wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:12 pm "What do other people do, is it just me finding this more problematic than it should be. Looking forward to advice or opinions"

Obviously you didn't really mean any advice or opinions.
We at HSfB have a "be nice" policy towards fellow forumers and although we are called Health and Safety for Beginners, we have many members like Siblo who have travelled the years with us and who are Health and Safety Professionals offering others advice when they can. Sometimes too, all of us just need a little chat or rant to see what others think and do in similar situations.

Safetylady, we thank you for your contributions, I am sure our members find them very helpful and I am sure, once you get to know us a little better, you will see why we are unique in our family attitude towards fellow members. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Pete62

Post by Pete62 »

The company I work for provide a standard issue boot to all staff. If staff want differant boot then they can choose from a catalouge, provided by the company, and pay for them themselves providing they are equqal to or better than the ones provided. The company will reinburse the emploee the value of the standard issue boot providing they have lasted for an acceptable length of time.
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Thanks for the reply Pete

That's exactly what I am trying to do.

i think we now have a process that I am happy with, the MD is happy with and the accountant is happy with.

I amazed me how complicated just the reimbursement of the original boot cost was. The accountants were talking about explaining expenses paid to staff to HMRC and complications with VAT when we all know there is no VAT on boots if you buy them yourself but when an employer provides them there is VAT to pay by the employer. (which may or may not be then claimed back, I don't know, I stopped listening)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... strial-use

Thanks again Guys

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy