Moderator: Moderators

hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

abseil information/facthseet IRATA Qualified

Post by hammer1 »

Evening all,

Wondered if anyone know or has any information/factsheet/guidance on abseiling by IRATA Qualified Industrial Rope Access Technicians in line with BS 7985:2013 or any other BS standard?

Many thanks in advance.

.salut
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
HelenPJ
Risk Rodent
Risk Rodent

Re: abseil information/facthseet IRATA Qualified

Post by HelenPJ »

Hi Hammer :wave:

BS 7985:2013
Code of practice for the use of rope access methods for industrial purposes. Recommendations and guidance supplementary to BS ISO 22846

For info on this aspect of IRATA, try asking a member - see: http://www.irata.org/regulations_and_control.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since 1992 all technicians working within the industry are required to be trained and assessed in accordance with the IRATA “Training, Assessment and Certification Scheme (TACS)". After training, the technicians undertake an independent assessment, and if successful are registered with IRATA and issued a log book and identification card. There are three levels of technician: Trainee (1), Operative (2) and Supervisor (3)

IRATA members provide clients with detailed method statements for any operation involving rope access. By identifying potential hazards and through effective risk management IRATA companies can produce a safe system of work. This progressive and proactive stance has led to documented accident rates being very low in comparison to other access industries.
Industrial Rope Access Trade Association - International Code of Practice http://www.irata.org/default.php?cmd=21 ... tegory=268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All documents which comprise the ICOP accessible via: http://www.irata.org/default.php?cmd=21 ... tegory=506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ICOP provides guidance to enable IRATA member companies and IRATA rope access technicians carry out rope access activities safely. It is a condition of membership that IRATA member companies adhere to the principles of the ICOP. IRATA has over 300 member companies spread around the world and has more than 40,000 trained rope access technicians. It should be noted that the ICOP is not intended as a full interpretation of the law and does not relieve employers of their duties under the various legal requirements that may relate to their specific location, situation and applications.
Also their "other documents" include this one via: http://www.irata.org/default.php?cmd=21 ... tegory=507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Comparison study between ISO 22846 and ICOP 2013 (31 pages) ../. ./thumbsup..

For a UK IRATA member's compliance to the BS standard I would check with them as they should be aware of the BS Standard - however, the IRATA ICOP (which includes Training & Certification) + ISO 22486 standard's parts (which don't) appear to be the principal references for this industry:

ISO 22846-1:2003
Personal equipment for protection against falls. Rope access systems. Fundamental principles for a system of work

ISO 22846-2:2012
Personal equipment for protection against falls. Rope access systems. Code of practice

HTH a little
Helen
Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity
Aristotle
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Re: abseil information/facthseet IRATA Qualified

Post by hammer1 »

Now that is what you call a detailed response.... .salut

Many thanks for you assistance.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy