NVQ level 5

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

sssikuk

NVQ level 5

Post by sssikuk »

Hello All

My 1st post here.
Last July I started the BSC NVQ level 5 diploma and I am pleased to say that I have got ,........nowhere!
I appreciate that the NVQ requires a lot of individual time to be dedicated by the student but I would have thought that the tutor though, should also be chasing the student for work to be submitted?
Is this not the case?

Can anyone who is currently on or has completed the level 5 NVQ advise on this.
Should there be regular contact from the tutor?

I am so frustrated at the lack of support that I have had on this NVQ due to the lack of contact that I have had.

At the moment this is one course I would not recommend.

Thankyou.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: NVQ level 5

Post by Alexis »

Hi sssikuk. Welcome to HSfB. :wave:

I am sure our members whom have gone down this route will come in with their experiences.

I do know of someone who is also at present going down this route and they too are experiencing similar difficulties. Their assessor is actually contacting Students in a different branch of the company not too far away, but not bothering to inform the Students at a different branch of their arrival and are gone by the time the Students find out about the visit.

If it were me, I would most certainly be pestering the assessor at least once a week for any updates or merely just to keep in touch. I wouldn't necessarily hold off waiting for the assessor to contact me.

Good luck sssikuk. Hope things improve for you. You will always have people who understand in this forum though. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Ironheart

Post by Ironheart »

Hello sssikuk

I started mine in January and have not really started to put the hours in until now (Just started the first module) . I have had no contact from my tutor. I get a feeling having spoken to other people who have taken and passed the course that you are just left to get on with it. I would agree with alexis that you only get out what you put in and i am intending to start my regualr pestering shortly.

How far have you got with yours i am about to write my first story board. First time, be good to see how you approached it.

.scratch
sssikuk

Post by sssikuk »

I have a colleague at work who started the same time as myself and he has also got no-where.
We are 'working' on unit 4.
Our assessor is actually coming in to see us next week (after we prompted him) and hopefully it will all become clearer after the visit.
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Hey sssikuk, welcome to the forums :D :wave:

All the best with your studies.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Ross Drennan
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by Ross Drennan »

Hey sssikuk,

Im in the same sort of situation, ive been doing my best to chip away at some of the units but I think to begin with theres only so much you can do on your own. I posted on here yesterday with the same sort of post.. Ive have just started to leave answer machine messages and also emails on my tutors phone/email address saying where I am upto and that I need abit of guidance with some of the units. I think once you get started on a unit and get pointed in the right direction then the work will just flow, its just getting that initial start to get you going.

Some people say it can take upto 18 Months to finish an i guess thats where the waiting for your tutor to reply to you comes in as this will obviously push the timescale up quite abit!

Keep thinking positive! its the only way forward :D

Ross
linda
Twitter: @sheknowslinda

Post by linda »

Hi guys

Complain, in writing (email) ask for the IV name (email) complain again, ask for the EV name (email) complain again. Give up - name and shame and ask for your money back. Remember your assessor should not only be qualified and occupational competent in your field/sector of H&S but there also shouldn't be a personality clash or tense air or dissatisfaction between you.

NVQs should be a way you can bleed your Assessor dry of their knoweldge and for them to enjoy seeing you flourish and reach your target. I always say an assessor should be able to cover your job if you went on holiday - thats how good your exchange of info should be.

regards

Linda
SHE Knows, all about the conversion from the L4 to the NVQ L5 Diploma

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
londonblue
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by londonblue »

I am about half way through the NVQ 5 i started in Dec and have seen my assessor twice, both time to check my work, i had to make contact both times, otherwise no contact at all
I called recently and asked him to come down as i had about 15 pieces of work to include, I was told, can you do some more work as it would not be worth my time coming down to check that amount of work. I have now done 26 and have not heard anything, i have left messages and also sent e mails.
At this rate i will have completed the course and he can check it all in one go
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough
linda
Twitter: @sheknowslinda

Post by linda »

When your company signed you up on the NVQ, did the provider say how many times they would come down?

Linda
SHE Knows, all about the conversion from the L4 to the NVQ L5 Diploma

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

All I AM GOING TO SAY ON THIS SUBJECT IS.......Linda made my NVQ 5 process so easy to complete and gave me every support and advice along the route - her advice is invaluable, and her assessing expertise proved vital in me succeeding with no difficulties at all - inside four months from starting.

Nuff said - Linda'z da gal !!
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
rajjindu

Post by rajjindu »

Hi Guys,

I am half way in NVQ 5, now about to start Management review and policy units. Looks little tuff, any guidance from those who completed will be appreciated. PM at rajjindu [put the at thingy here] hotmail.com

Thanks a lot

Raju
Last edited by HelenPJ on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just editing your email address to prevent it being "harvested" by spammers - but it is better to ask specific questions on the forum & then LOTS of people have the opportunity to help you! Good luck with your studies
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi Raju. :wave:

Welcome aboard. Good to have you join us.

As Helen says, just ask anything specific in our forums for more responses. .salut

Good luck with your studies. :)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy