Post by asbwesty »

Has anyone got any last minute advice for studying for the exam on Tuesday
Feeling very nervous
Is anyone else feeling the same?????

Good luck to all of those who are taking the exam on Tuesday
Rustie

Re: NEBOSH Diploma Unit A exam Tuesday 5th July 2011

Post by Rustie »

I am petrified! It's been way too long since i sat an exam and i'm now remembering how bad i am at them! Why on earth aren't they open book? :?

I've been going over old exam papers but that's not helping ease the nerves and i don't they'll let me walk around mumbling to myself in the exam room, damn shame!

I really don't know how people work fulltime and study, although we've lost 2 of our team since i started studying and i've now taken on heaps more work (typical!) so have put it long hours and that's wiping me out.

I'm sitting the International diploma and, as i'm in New Zealand, I'll be sitting it before you if you're on the 5th as well (i think we're 12 hours ahead and it starts at 09:30).

I guess the only advice i can give at the moment is, ensure you read and re-read the question, underline the key words in the question (including define, explain, etc.) and, if you get time, re-read the answer.

Good Luck! :wave:
asbwesty

Post by asbwesty »

Hi Rustie

Thanks for the advice
You've written in detail a lot of how I'm feeling
It's been a long time for me since i have sat an exam as well

re-reading notes and books, i think it is finally sinking in
Hope it is there on Tuesday

Good luck and study hard ../.
Maurmaur

Post by Maurmaur »

Hi,

I think going through the old exam papers is good advice. I am doing the International Diploma and I did a quick analysis of previous papers and they do tend to repeat very similar questions (cant find a pattern but there was a lot of similar questions from Jan 2009 in the Jan 2011 paper) on all the papers there always seems to be one about accidents ie investigating/reports/data analysis. Also noticed ones about safety cultures/behavior/human failure seem to appear regularly. The other thing I noticed is that most of the questions start with the word 'outline'

Good Luck
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

A few suggestions :-
Get a simple calculator now and use it a few times.
A small ruler, two pens, make sure the pens work.
Write a lot... stop using the computer, make notes about things.
When you get to the exam, spend your few minutes before the exam when you get to read the paper looking through section B questions so that you can select which ones you feel most confident about. You don't have to answer section A first, so answer your three 20 mark questions first... better to run out of time on a ten mark question than a 20 mark question.
Take the evening of 4th off and get a good nights sleep.

You will do as well as your studying allows, don't get down on yourself if you find it hard, it's meant to be hard.

Why is it not open book ? How would you feel if your doctor pulled out a book every time you asked him/her a question... The diploma is the minimum that you should have wallowing around in your head to be a general health and safety professional.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
Seand
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Aerospace

Post by Seand »

I'm sitting this too and feel the same way :|

Spent loads of time studying this weekend, and the last few weeks, and hoping I have retained enought to get a pass ;)

Only thing I haven't done (and should have) is spent more time going through past question papers, but have spent a bit of time today going through some examiner reports, and will do the same tomorrow afternoon :)

I was planning on tackling the three 20 pointers first, exactly as Kevlarion suggests.

Let's hope the paper is kind to us ;)

Good luck
joebaxi1
Student
Student

Post by joebaxi1 »

just popping my head back in again to see how every ones verves are :P

i think what ive concentrated a lot on is the case law , this is i hope a defo link to answering a lot/some to unit A .

past papers fair chunk , and a basic understanding of as much of the course as possible , even if its just a little bit just enough

to get me started you never know what you could come up with , then i hope to remember to add to it thinking outside the box .

i could just surprise myself !! .bounce

good luck everyone ,

then its unit b the day after whhooooo heeeeee ../.
asbwesty

Post by asbwesty »

Am getting ready for the final load of revision at the library this afternoon
No Computer, just me, book and my notes
Making more notes on paper about what i think i know vs what i should know :?

Hadn't thought of doing the 30 minute questions first and then getting onto the section A questions. Am liking that idea and will put that into action tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone around the world taking the Unit A Diploma exam on 5th July ../. clapclap :wave:
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Welcome to all our three newbies. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Good luck to all three of you and all our older members taking their exams tomorrow and Wednesday. .salut .salut .salut .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Welcome aboard asbwesty, Rustie and Maurmaur :D :wave:

All the best for today, you will all come out the exam room much better people and much more relieved into the bargain :lol: ./thumbsup..

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Maurmaur

Post by Maurmaur »

Thanks for that Jack. I am doing the International diploma, I hope I am not being to previous but I actually thought it wasn't too bad. Now for the wait until 30th September for the results with fingers crossed. There did seem to be a repeat of previous questions but tweaked a bit.
Seand
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Aerospace

Post by Seand »

Well, I was certainly fried after that :|

The diploma paper was of a very general nature, and I hadn't seen any of the questions in previous examiners reports. Bit dissapointed with it, as I spent a lot of time sudying the case laws and FMEA, FTA etc, and not one question about these, although there was one question which you could have quoted a case on :|

Just hoping I did enough to pass, but know I fluffed one of the mandatory questions completely :|

Now the wait :roll:

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy