NVQ level 5 Unit B5 securing financial resources

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

jkelleher

NVQ level 5 Unit B5 securing financial resources

Post by jkelleher »

Hi all,

I am working my way through NVQ level 5 in occupational Health and Safety practice, currently stuck on unit B5 securing financial resources for your organisational plans:
I am aware that this unit is from the management standards, it has nothing to to do with my job as site HSE Manager i am really struggling to get started with this module. At the moment i dont seem to be getting the right sort of help from my assesor (distance learning) i am struggling to piece anything together. This is not my job i am not an accountant, these issues are not even dealt with at my site they are worked out somewhere else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim
simple74
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Construction

Re: NVQ level 5 Unit B5 securing financial resources

Post by simple74 »

Hi Jim

Could you not tackle this from an angle of any initiatives etc that you have identified and associated costs for that initiative?? e.g. I have recently identified a weakness in our accident/investigation process, the officers that work within the team need root cause analysis training so i had to send a report to the MD outlining the reasons why etc and costs backed up with the benefits, the MD reviewed and then signed off the training expenses.

Is that not securing finacial resources??? Thats how i interpret the question but then thats me!!

Simon
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
Hedgehog70
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Hedgehog70 »

That would be my interpretation as well. I would also break it down to short, medium and long term needs to assist budgetary planning. I would be looking at an minimum plan term of 3 years, but ideally 5 years.

1) Identify the area of need/concern/weakness
2) Identify the potential reprecussions
3) Identify the solution
4) Identify the benefits
5) Outline the costs and build in a tolerance of say +/- 15%

T
jkelleher

Post by jkelleher »

Thanks for your input guys, i can see where you are coming from i will run this by my assessor.

Thanks

jim
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

When I did mine three years ago, I had to prove direct control of budget funds, and ways that I directly influenced choices for items such as correct and fit for use PPE, face fit testing, testing for breathing air compressors, quotes and work needed on occupational health testing - hearing eye sight, noise testing for the whole of the production areas etc.

I also convinced directors that PPE used in hearing protection zones would be better fitted personally with in ear protectors rather than throw away foam units.

These were all accepted items used as evidence for myself - hope that helps!
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
linda
Twitter: @sheknowslinda

Post by linda »

Hi

Also have a look if you have had to move resources around. E.g staff hours on site, additional staff to cover extra safety. it all comes out of a budget - you may just see it as permitted hours.

Also what about any funding CITB monies coming it - its getting resources for your site projects too.

Regards

Linda
SHE Knows, all about the conversion from the L4 to the NVQ L5 Diploma

http://www.she-knows.com/course_dates/calendar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i7wJR8__A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

If your employer is funding your NVQ then that's a great example of securing a resource with a direct influence on H&S provision within your workplace.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy