Moderator: Moderators

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

USA Scaffolding

Post by bernicarey »

For the past 2 years I've been passing this construction site every day. Work stopped for about a year, due presumably the financial situation, but it is now all go again. Here's a couple of photos of their scaffolding, there are more but I'm going to send them to Stoker for his website http://www.safetyphoto.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The scaffolding they use is a easy erect clip together format, so what happens when you go around a curved structure?

How do they get up and down this scaffolding?

You might need to zoom in a bit on the photos for the answers, or else visit Stokers site for some close ups.
2010_0410Scaffolding0028.JPG
2010_0410Scaffolding0032.JPG

Anyone surprised this safety standard for what is probably regarded as a major 1st World nation??
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

vesparado
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: USA Scaffolding

Post by vesparado »

any system scaffold is only good for straight runs etc , form the pics uve showed the access is by ladders , there arent any toe boards on the first and the 2nd , the bays appear to big
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

The ladder looks to me as though it is side on with only one side attached so could become loose and swing. To climb from the ladder onto any level would entail ducking or climbing over scaffold rails as far as I can see and I would also think that this outside ladder should go zig-zag up the side of the scaffold with hand rails attached to enable carrying with handhold for safety.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
vesparado
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by vesparado »

just zoomed and saw that alexis , we are encouraged to have all ladders internal these days , an outside ladder should be boxed in , all ladders tied twice, and ur right , clear accesss onto the platform,never liked system scaffolds, not versatile enough , only used for speed
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

I am in no way very knowledgable about scaffold, so only know the simple bits. It is good to hear that you are being encouraged to use only internal ladders Ves. Much safer.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

If you zoom up, midway up the second building you can see some nice gaps in the floor boarding too... just what you need to let the rain drain away, increase ventilation, break your ankle :)
In the top picture there isn't a toeboard to be seen, and all those overlapping boards must make for an interesting day with regard to tripping and rolling off the side of the scaffolding... must be fun for the people working under it too.. a brick knocked over the edge of the fourth floor... would a hard hat help much ?
Don't seem to be many ties onto the building either, maybe it doesn't get windy there :)
I'm no scaffolder, but I would be very careful if I had to work on that :)
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

kev
we had 50mph winds just the other week.!!!
This site is only 5 mins drive from home so I went out yesterday with my camera to take the pics. I usually just drive past and get the briefest of looks as I go past. I figured that taking a closer look would be good revision for my Dip studies!
I don't think any of this is tied to the building. I'll explain how these buildings are put up. A Steel girder skeleton is fitted with galvanised framework which is then covered in plywood sheeting. The ply is then covered in a fabric (I assume moisture impervious) and a mesh and given a top coat of some sort of cement slurry. This is then painted, has tile or 'brick' façade fitted etc. This photo shows the bare bones, at the back left is an almost finished exterior.
2010_0410Scaffolding0037.JPG
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Alexis wrote:The ladder looks to me as though it is side on with only one side attached so could become loose and swing. To climb from the ladder onto any level would entail ducking or climbing over scaffold rails as far as I can see and I would also think that this outside ladder should go zig-zag up the side of the scaffold with hand rails attached to enable carrying with handhold for safety.
You're right, the ladders are side on and it must be about 100ft to the top. there are other places on this site where they use regular step ladder sections that are enclosed.
2010_0410Scaffolding0040.JPG
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Stoker
Très Drôle
Très Drôle
Twitter: http://twitter.com/safetyphoto
Industry Sector: Space Travel

Post by Stoker »

thanks Berni, all now added to SP with backlink to here to discuss, it would be good to get a few from USA to discuss.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy