lifting plan??

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

PeteClark

lifting plan??

Post by PeteClark »

Hi Guys, i've been asked to do a lifting plan for a job involving our Lorry & HIAB - can anyone tell me what I need to do this??
Pierre7
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: lifting plan??

Post by Pierre7 »

I guess what you are wanting to do is a Method Statement.
I've not had to prepare one myself always get one from Contractors doing work for us.
Basically it's a document which defines and describes any equipment and safe procedures which are to be used by the company carrying out the work.It usually includes things like Various Legislation which is relevant ,in this case I'd imagine LOLER , PEWER HSAWA possibly man hand regs.
Relevant ACOPS. Scope of the actual work.
I would imagine if you Google Method Statement it will come up with loads of stuff,there may even be something in the downloads section in here.
There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions
PeteClark

Post by PeteClark »

Already done the Method Statement & Risk Assessment, because we are carrying out the work for the contractor.

They are asking for the Lifting Plan over & above these??

I've never done one for the HIAB before, it sounds like overkill to me??

p.s - HEY, WHEN DID I BECOME A JNR MEMBER?? .colours
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

PeteClark wrote:p.s - HEY, WHEN DID I BECOME A JNR MEMBER?? .colours
See, you didn't even notice you had climbed the ladder. ;)
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Pierre7
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Pierre7 »

Sorry Pete,didn't intend to sound condescending.
Your obviously well aware of method statements etc.
I'm not sure what they are after with this lifting plan.
Maybe as you say ,Overkill?
Someone on here will come up with the answer I'm sure.
There are no foolish questions and no man becomes a fool until he has stopped asking questions
PeteClark

Post by PeteClark »

Spoke with the guy last night & he backs me up on the fact that its overkill, but his client is asking for it, so he's asking me. .scratch

I have sugested to him that he should inform his client of our 'overkill' opinion status, but he wont/daren't........... :twisted:

So I have to do it (all-be-it a modification to the Method Statement, but still)............. .geek

What was that about sense & sensibility??
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Just call it another experience for the NVQ 4, Pete, and remember about ground conditions, underground services, CAT scanning, overhead lines, pipe trays, anything that could be caught on route that may be a live service.

Have you done a Newton force calculation for load bearing of the crane's feet on the surface to be used - spread of load through solid steel plate pads, and taking account of the height and distance away from the crane, swing factor of load removal ?

Think if you were moving something by hand and swinging it round - you would look at - stoop, reach, use the HSE guideline to distance away from the body for the load etc - adapt this for mechanical lifting to remember what should be there.

Remember all of your Crane and Hiab lifting certificates and training records for Banksmen etc to be available as an appendix to the lifting plan.

Lift calculation - weather conditions, safety equipment check for crane on the day, crane and Hiab operators' current training certs available for scrutiny ... +

What is being lifted and to what height,
what angle away from the crane for crane overload alarm settings,
is there a load transferral between Crane and Hiab,
or is it down to ground and second pick up ?

Then write it all up neatly for marking !! Ha Ha !! Enjoy !
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
PeteClark

Post by PeteClark »

Shoot - who said a health & safety career was a good idea - whoever it was, I'm gonna kick his a$$ [smilie=dweeba20.gif]
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

What you actually need to undertake a lifting plan is competence....
If you're not competent - don't do it. The majority of crane operations that go wrong are "simple" lifts that are poorly planned and subsequently poorly executed.
A lifting plan comprises all of the elements that Acko has identiifed plus several more such as the ability to read crane duty charts and justify slinging calculations.
The lifting plan is a legal requirement under LOLER and must be undertaken by a competent person - the details for lorry mounted cranes are in BS 7121 - I recommend that you start there and look specifically at sections 1 (general crane ops) and 4 (lorry mounted loaders)
These are the basic starting points.
Hope this helps
Otto 8)
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....
acko 338
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: From July 1st - Director / Owner of Black & White (UK) Ltd as well as Glyn Atkinson Safety Services - self employed Health and Safety Consultant / Advisor / Technical Author.
Location: GRIMSBY TOWN - I NOW KNOW HOW TO DEFINE OPTIMISM !!

Post by acko 338 »

Fully agree with all of Otto's add on points - am I right in thinking without taking time out to check that the Competent Person must hold an A61 rigging / slinging / assessing or similar qualification for this type of work, including all types of required calculations for the work to be viable and safe ?

I've only ever had to read, understand and accept lifting plans in conjunction with Contract lifts from firms like Peter Hird of Hull, so have not had to be qualified as the assessor, but needed to know all of the required elements to allow a lift on our premises.

It's different for Pete if it's the company owned crane and Hiab being used on their property by their own personnel !!

Pete, nobody ever SAID that this job was easy !!
http://atkinsonsafetyservices.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also sole director of Black & White (UK) Ltd - looking for more training and consultancy work.
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

The A61 Appointed Person CPCS is the industry "gold" standard - I hold one and it's an extremely difficult ticket to get.
But it's not an actual legal requirement - I train an equivalent for example - mine isn't CPCS accredited, but contains the same elements. CPCS would have you believe that their qualifications are the only ones that hold water - but that isn't so.
Training to a good standard is what's required as part of the overall criteria for competency.
Part of any AP course should be the base calculations for loading and sizing of outrigger pads and the calculations to de rate slinging systems based on the slinging arrangement/included angle of the slings. It should also cover a myriad of other things such as crane stability, proximity hazards, how cranes work, duty charts, falls of line calculations etc.
In all it's a complicated job and not to be taken lightly - a surefire way to get onto HSE's radar is to turn over a crane - especially a big one......
Otto 8)
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy