Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

shaun2424
Student
Student

Access Cage on a Fork Lift

Post by shaun2424 »

Hello all

We have a job coming up where we want to work at height via a Fork Lift Truck with an access cage attatched to the tynes. Im not sure I generally like the idea but, does the person need to wear a harness and lanyard? As I say I'm not too keen on this way of doing things but any input from you guys is welcome.
Shaun - I wont procrastinate until tomorrow
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Access Cage on a Fork Lift

Post by WillPool »

The HSE Say:

31. It is not appropriate for personnel to stand on the guardrails. In addition, it is advisable not to
lean out of the platform when it is raised and, so far as is reasonably practicable, the platform shall
be positioned to prevent the need for people to lean out when carrying out their work. If people have
to lean out of the platform to carry out work at height then they shall wear harness and lanyards that
when linked to the platform’s harness anchorage points prevent them from overbalancing and falling
over the rails.

Full Guidance here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/pm28.pdf

Hope this helps.
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Buster
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Buster »

You also need to ensure that the cage is checked and has all its certificates ,and the FLT needs to have adequate fixing pointsfor the cage and has the correct counter weight for the height you wish to go .we had a cage that weighed so much when two bodies in it it nearly tipped the flt when at full height . and also needs test certs that cover fork wear etc . we were going to use Flt access but ended up buying a Scissor lift whilst in that our employees have to have harnesses on and attatched.better safe than sorry i suppose. .salut
tweetybird
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by tweetybird »

The HSE say slightly more than that but at the moment i cannot recall where:
If a flt is to carry a man cage then the man cage and the flt must be subject to 6monthly LOLER inspections and the cage clearly marked with SWL,
A man cage on a fork lift truck is not permitted for use for any planned, routine or maintenance work. It can only be used to enable emergency works to take place.
As your work is being planned it would seem to fall foul of this ruling; We do have man cages for some of our FLT but we do not use them for any planned, routine or maintenance work (including changing bulbs in warehouse).
If I could remember the precise papers involved I would quote them all for you - but a bit of leg work and they can all be found.
Other way to look at it is go for the HSE search and man cage fork lift truck (variants of) and all you can find in a hurry is lists of prosecutions and improvement notices etc for where the use of man cage on FLT has gone wrong.

IF you must use one in an emergency situation - yes harness and lanyards etc (all checked) must be used. If NOT an emergency it should not be used.
There is no wrong answer in health and safety - it is a starting point for discussion
Experience may be a good teacher ... but some lessons I wish I had never had to learn!
shaun2424
Student
Student

Post by shaun2424 »

Will

Thankyou very much for that.
shaun2424
Student
Student

Post by shaun2424 »

Add to that - thankyou all
shaun2424
Student
Student

Post by shaun2424 »

There is an added attraction for this - this is at somebody elses premises using their FLT, cage and driver and the work will be carried out by our sub contract install team.
tweetybird
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by tweetybird »

http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/pm28.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun
The document which gives pictures and rules etc for man cages.
If it were me or my lads I would thank the 'somebody else' for their offer and hire a purpose made lift .... the repercussions from the HSE are such that you just do not want to be there ...... despite their friendly words that you do not need to follow these guidelines ..!
As this is obviously planned it is clear from the guidelines that unless your methods are better than those suggested it would be severely frowned upon.
I hope this helps you and others..
There is no wrong answer in health and safety - it is a starting point for discussion
Experience may be a good teacher ... but some lessons I wish I had never had to learn!
superscaff75
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by superscaff75 »

i may
be wrong here or possibly ahead of legislation but i thought all lifts of this kind now had to have a set of controls in the basket so that the forklift driver couldnt operate the boom while operatives were in it there was definate talk about it. so for example the driver manouvers the truck into a suitable position but the operative in the basket then takes over the controls of the boom
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, Therefore, is not an act, but a habit. aristotle
ScottD
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Industry Sector: Logistics & warehousing

Post by ScottD »

I am sure also that no one is permitted in the basket as the truck actually travels. Only once it is in position can people enter the basket and be raised vertically to the work site. The forklift operator is not permitteed to leave the truck when someone is aloft in case of an emergency where lowering needs to take place.
Cunningly disguised as a responsible adult
tweetybird
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by tweetybird »

SuperScaff, you are thinking about integrated boom lifts (cherry pickers) and not the non-integrated lift methods of a man cage attached to a fork lift truck. Integrated boom, scissor lift etc all have operator pads within the cage so that the movement can be controlled by one operator driver in an emergency a braked down can be achieved.

Scott, this point is clearly made in Section 24 of PM28 attached earlier. On any non-integrated man lift cage attached to either fork lift truck or telehandler the machine operator must remain at the controls at all times.

Trust me we found out the hard way that PM28 and non-integrated trucks go cap in hand .... and if your usage is anything but an emergency (and that includes a activity that was only decided on late at night the previous evening) then a boom or scissor lift is the only way.
shaun2424
Student
Student

Post by shaun2424 »

Once again thanks for your help. I am sending a Contract Manager to the job on Monday to have a look.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy