The Fatal Great Storm of 1987 - 29 Years Ago Today

Have you recently had a safety moment? Share it in here and help raise awareness, start a conversation, encourage people to talk about HSE, spread the word! It might just save a life!

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

The Fatal Great Storm of 1987 - 29 Years Ago Today

Post by Messy »

Today is the 29th anniversary of the so-called great storm that struck the south of England - the worst since 1703. Sadly 18 people died and scores hurt.

I was in the London Fire Brigade and spent all night and the next day (a 23hr shift!) at numerous incidents, which included:
>a fire in a block of flats which required us to use a 9m a ladder (we needed to tie guy lines on the ladder to prevent it blowing across the face of the building)
> the rescue of 23ish people from a luxurious Victorian mansion block where a stone staircase collapsed taking out 6 floors of the only stairs in the building(we tied ladders together to make a temporary staircase after demolishing some roof structure above to make it safeish)
> securing sheets of steel corrugated sheeting at 5th floor level to a temporary scaffolding roof as it was 'frisbeeing' down the street at 50mph. Scary stuff leaning from a swaying hydraulic platform with stuff flying around in the dark. This was before fall arrest harnesses etc

Sadly 2 Firefighters were killed in Dorset when a tree struck their old fire appliance with a wooden framed crew cab which crumbled. That took the shine off of an amazing night. Than God it happened at night though as I dread to think what the toll would have been if it had hit during a working day in the capital

Does anyone else have memories of the storm? (apologies to the northerners and Scots here where such storms are business as usual, but us soft southerners had never seen anything like it!!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavHRAtv5QE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: The Fatal Great Storm of 1987 - 29 Years Ago Today

Post by Alexis »

Even being a Scot, I do remember this Messy. An terrible outcome with fatalities and I do remember discussing the Firefighters who gave their all that night. .salut .salut

I will certainly be sending my thoughts "down South" for today. :(
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Andyblue

Post by Andyblue »

There were people calling up to say A tree had fallen down and unaware of the real extent of the effects. Anyone with a chainsaw seemed to be welcome at the roadside and the only question asked was how long they could stay. I wonder how such things would be dealt with today? Would we really turn away a helping hand?
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I do remember the 'Michael Fish Factor' the previous evening, where he famously dismissed the old lady who had phoned in to ask if there was a Hurricane coming.

Being on the longitude of Nottingham, we didn't really experience much, but I remember all the TV coverage the following morning.
I'm sure it was probably widely reported at the time, but I don't recall the incident of the 2 Dorset Firefighters; terrible to think that even then there were still wooden framed vehicles in use. It's something you tend to think of stopping by the 70's, like old buses and coaches, but clearly didn't (unless they were in a really old appliance.
Perhaps next year, being the 30th Anniversary, there might be some significant coverage.
.salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I lived in London then, but being five at the time, my main memory is going to school only to find out that it was closed due to the storm and then getting the day off. My memories are probably more positive than most!

There was a road closed due to a church steeple sustaining damage, but iirc, it was only a precautionary thing.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

they closed my school... (that's all I remember - I was 10)

like Witsd, only positive memories as it meant no school!
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

Different topic but I caught a piece on BBC News this morning about the upcoming 50th anniversary since the Aberfan disaster which I belive is this Friday. Another reminder of what can go wrong without a firm eye on safety procedures. I'm sure there'll be a few programs to mark the event, looking inot the reasons for the disaster and accounts from those that survived, and indeed lost their loved ones. I can't think of many more harrowing examples of industrial accidents - probably due to the loss of so many innocent young lives.

As for the storms of 29 years ago, surely just a wee breeze to us hardened individuals north of the border? ;-)
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

safetygal wrote:they closed my school... (that's all I remember - I was 10)

like Witsd, only positive memories as it meant no school!
You young whippersnappers! Thanks for making me feel old!
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Got caught up in the storm, travelling from Warminster to Chiswick.

Car broke down at Fleet services so was stranded there all night as no recovery would come out to me :(

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Post by jonsi »

I was on a training course at an hotel in Bath. I just remember hearing the wind howling around the building during the night then switching on breakfast TV to see Anne Diamond reading the news by candlelight, then seeing film of one of the company's Ferries (m.v Hengist) beached because of the storm.
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Messy wrote:You young whippersnappers! Thanks for making me feel old!
Anytime, gramps. ;)
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy