Management systems in job descriptions

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

stretch3144
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Health and Safety Consultant

Management systems in job descriptions

Post by stretch3144 »

I was made redundant a few weeks ago and am looking for new H&S jobs. A lot of roles are requesting Health, safety and environmental experience.
I have the H&S experience but have not done a great deal of environmental. If I were to do an internal auditor course for ISO14001, would this be enough "experience" to satisfy these job description requirements? Obviously experience is very important but how much sway does holding the right qualifications have?
If I have working knowledge through a course how applicable would it be?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Management systems in job descriptions

Post by WillPool »

My argument would be although you can audit the system what do you know about the legislation etc that backs it up?

For Environmental Qualifications to gain professional membership the IEMA Environmental course would be one that I would consider as it is the minimum qualification required to join IEMA.

There are other courses, NEBOSH env cert & Dip but I was recommended this course previously. I didnt complete it due to being abroad but am thinking of taking it up again ;) ../.

As for experience you can only get that by utilising the qualifications and working at it ;)

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Management systems in job descriptions

Post by Blackstone »

When I moved jobs 2 years ago I applied for many jobs that were QEHS positions.

I had no experience of managing environmental issues but good QHS management skills.

Some jobs I applied for were heavy on H&S or Quality. Some were heavy on Environment.

I didn't get any further on the environmentally heavy jobs but where it was the least important I got interviews and used my fast learning skills as a caveat.

Don't let the environmental bit limit which jobs you apply for.

Start researching environmental legislation so you get knowledge of it. That should stand you in good sted
hope that helps

Once I got my current position I found out on day 1 that 14001 and 18001 certification was required in year 1 :shock: At that point I did the 14001 foundation course to gain knowledge. I was lucky in that there was a fair bit of corporate knowledge to bounce questions off.

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy