Lab Inductions - How Best?

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

95HSE92
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Technology

Lab Inductions - How Best?

Post by 95HSE92 »

Hi All,

We are reviewing our inductions - everyone one receives their standard inductions, but we need to do something more for our lab guys.

What I'm thinking is something easy, not onerous on the managers.

We have an online safety training platform, but I don't think a video would cover all the processes we have going on in the lab - or if it did it would be 3hrs long probably!

My idea is something like a hand-out, with a map of the labs (they are pretty big), areas, locations of HS info, spill kits etc., generic info - ppe use, chemical purchasing etc. - and then the two sheets for the managers to complete? Have attached these. These would obviously take some time to complete but would form a good record ... or is this too much?

What do you think?
What do you do?

Thank you.
Attachments
Equipment Competency Record.docx
(31.99 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
Lab Induction Checklist.docx
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Re: Lab Inductions - How Best?

Post by Jack Kane »

I don't think it's too much at all. I like your approach.

We have something similar with our pressure testing areas. These are high hazard areas and each 'cell' in the department have their own induction set on top of the main induction.

One thing I would be cautious of though, is the terminology used. I know it might seem picky, but I really do believe that it can damage a safety culture over a period of time almost undetected.

That word 'competence'. It's a big word and we need to give its use the consideration is demands. So, the competency record sign-off sheet, can this demonstrate the people really are competent or is it just a statement of communication? I'd much rather assess competence using the usual methods, i.e. assessment, observation, audit etc.

I've just read the form again and I can see it does aim to observe the user and sign-off by the manager, so that's the competency check I guess?

Anyway, I like it, go for it. ./thumbsup..

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy