18001 - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and prevent

Discuss management systems in here, including - HS(G)65; ISO 45001; ISO 45003; ISO 14001

Moderator: Moderators

Scubalol
Industry Sector: Warehouse, Manufacturing

18001 - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and prevent

Post by Scubalol »

HI ALl, I need a little help on this area of the 18001 standard - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and preventive action.

It states - e) reviewing the effectiveness of corrective action(s) and preventive action(s) taken.

Where the corrective action and preventive action identifies new or changed hazards or the need for new or changed controls, the
procedure shall require that the proposed actions shall be taken through a risk assessment prior to implementation.

Any corrective action or preventive action taken to eliminate the causes of actual and potential nonconformity(ies) shall be appropriate to the
magnitude of problems and commensurate with the OH&S risk(s) encountered.

The organization shall ensure that any necessary changes arising from corrective action and preventive action are made to the OH&S
management system documentation.

I understand the concept of the clause, before implmenting a Corrective Action, consider if it will introduce any further hazards and/or increase the likelyhood of the hazzard hurting someone.

I am wondering how other members demonstrate this clause to the auditor, I dont want there to be a seperate RA for each corrective action that is raised.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Scubalol
jonsi
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Polymer Processing

Re: 18001 - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and pre

Post by jonsi »

The Non conformity has arisen because something was found which didn't conform to the standard you had adopted for your own rules. The Corrective action (first step) is to make sure that part of the process is now corrected. Preventive measure (Second Step) is to show, how that particular NC cannot re-occur because you have implemented measures (within your written standard) which will prevent it.

example:
your procedure states that the Gate to the Cordwangling Machine MUST be closed before Operation
The Nonconformity was that the Gate was Open and the machine was being operated
Corrective Action: CLOSE THE GATE. Instruct the Operator (again)
Preventive measure: the Cordwangler can't start until the gate is closed because you've fitted an Interlock. Interlock checks now form part of your written start Up procedure
"Talk about Mental Illness - because it will touch your life this year. "
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: 18001 - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and pre

Post by Blackstone »

I don't actually agree with Jonsi on this.

Definitions as I understand them.
Corrective Action – Action taken to eliminate the cause of a detected problem or defect. Eliminate the root cause AFTER something has happened.
Preventative action – Action taken to eliminate the cause of a potential problem or defect. Eliminate the root cause BEFORE something happens.

gladly the words 'Preventative actions' have been removed from the new ISO9001:2015 standard and hopefully this will be the same when 18001 changes to 45001

Using Jonsi's good scenario:
Procedure states that the Gate to the Cordwangling Machine MUST be closed before Operation

Scenario 1: Corrective action (CA):
The operator leaves the gate Open while the machine is being operated.
Investigate root cause (lack of training, instruction, etc)
Short term CA: instruct operator to close gate before operating the machine or add a sign. Confirm effectiveness by monitoring over a period of time.
Long term CA: fit interlock, change procedure, train operator monitor and record inspections of safety devise. Confirm effectiveness by monitoring and reviewing.

Scenario 2: Preventive Action (PA)
The operator always closed the gate but Safety Officer, Manager, whoever realises that someone could open the gate and enter the machine area while it is working. No incident has currently occurred but the company as noticed a potential issue.
Short term and long term could be similar to the above but the action was taken BEFORE to prevent an occurrence.

You will need to record the NC, actions taken to correct or prevent and how those actions were confirmed to be effective.
Risk assessments might need to be reviewed, amended or created as part of that process (with actions being recorded on the NC), but not always.

Hope that makes sense,

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Elf&Safety
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Micro-Electronics Manufacture

Re: 18001 - 4.5.3.2 Nonconformity, corrective action and prevent

Post by Elf&Safety »

Does you company have 9001? Ask quality dept for their CAPA process.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy