Glasgow School of Art on fire again

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Glasgow School of Art on fire again

Post by witsd »

We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Glasgow School of Art on fire again

Post by Messy »

Unbelievable and such an awful loss .

I have used an edited version of a presentation of a Scottish Fire Services video of the 2014 fire for training for a couple of years now.

In addition to showing the cause and spread, fire service tactics are shown using excellent 3D animations.

There are photos of the inside of this magnificent building too, so those of a nervous disposition should look away now

https://youtu.be/O8bjOmqIlds
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Awful to see this happen again.

Thank you Messy for that fantastic link.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
fs1982
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Engineering - Welding/Fabrication

Post by fs1982 »

I was in Glasgow on Saturday and saw first hand the scale of the damage this time round. That video however is brilliant (doesn't see the right word to use however) - one of the things I wondered this time round was how the fire was so well developed by the time the fire service arrived (they said when they arrived they couldn't determine where let alone how the fire started) taking into account how busy the area would have been on a Friday evening but this video shows how it could have potentially developed internally through old voids/pipework etc without being visible to anyone out on the streets.

It may only be 13 minutes but a very valuable bit of learning for me.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I walked past (well, 100m away is as close as you can get) last week, and there's a very strange atmosphere.

The best way I can describe it is similar to when you are on holiday, and you go into a temple or similar place of worship that you don't personally ascribe to. Everything is slightly muted, and there's an air of reverence.

Certainly worth seeing for yourself to get the full impact – the photos and videos can only show so much.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy