Smoke detectors - mains wired vs. long-life batteries

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Smoke detectors - mains wired vs. long-life batteries

Post by witsd »

Hi all.

I'm trying to get my head around the positives and negatives of these two options. The context is that from this Autumn, registered social landlords in Scotland will have to ensure that fire safety within their rented accommodation matches the higher standard set for private landlords:

As an aside, they've also stated that long-life (i.e. 10+years) battery operated detectors will be an acceptable alternative to Class D mains / battery units.

I'm getting some clients asking which would be better, and whilst I lean towards the tried and tested, I don't really have enough information to make a comparison.

What are you guys' opinions on this?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
baywaves
Student
Student

Re: Smoke detectors - mains wired vs. long-life batteries

Post by baywaves »

I would always go with a mains wired system myself. But even a mains wired systems would require a battery backup in case of mains failure.

But I can't necessarily see a problem with long-life batteries. I'm not sure what the limitations are of using long-life batteries. You would have to check for example, if you can only have up to a certain number of devices on a battery system.

It might be that in a small property if only a handful of devices were required, then a battery system would suffice. But if you are doing a medium to large property then a mains wired system would be the preferred and better option.

Nonetheless, both types of system will need to have a servicing regime.

You say in your post that 'they've also stated'. Who are 'they' and why don't you ask them?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy