Help Please

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete B

Help Please

Post by Pete B »

Hi
Can anyone help.....
I am responsible for 4 sites locally, we have vehicles in and out all day including our own and visiting drivers, does anyone know the best way to create a fire register for those onsite at anyone time?

Thanks in advance.

Pete B
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Help Please

Post by witsd »

Do you have permanent staff based at these locations?

If so, a sweep system might be more effective than any form of physically checking people in / out, because I'm yet to discover a system that could allow anyone to guarantee that a building was empty, or that a missing person was inside and not on lunch or wherever.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Pete B

Post by Pete B »

Hi
Yes thats the only solution i have implemented to date, but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas. I have also utilised the CCTV on mobile phones to ensure the sweep is done cprrectly.

Pete B
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Well, I can't speak for your buildings without seeing them, but I've always found sweeps to be far better, providing staff are adequately trained, there are enough of them to cover holidays and other absences / departures from their usual location and that the system is tested during drills.

CCTV is a great way of looking for 'areas to improve', as are scenarios during drills – getting someone to hide 'unconscious' in a toilet and seeing if the fire warden finds them and follows the correct process is always good fun, whilst still conveying a pretty strong message when you point out that they left Joe Bloggs to cook!

Other members may have different experiences, but in my opinion visitors' books and all that are good for getting information to people as they arrive, making them feel 'watched' (preventing some misbehaving!) and not a lot else.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy