Diesel generators – recommended maintenance

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Diesel generators – recommended maintenance

Post by witsd »

I'm struggling to locate the recommended maintenance / testing periodicity for a diesel generator used solely for providing a secondary power supply to a firefighting lift. Anyone know this off of the top of their heads?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Diesel generators – recommended maintenance

Post by witsd »

Should I take the silence as nothing being codified, no-one knowing or everyone being asleep? :D
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
ssmith65

Post by ssmith65 »

We had one as secondary power for out IT backed centre.

I would just check it once a month and run it up and check the warming blanket was functioning. We did have an issue where it wouldnt start becuase the warming blaknet had failed, we also had another issue where someone had syphoned out all of the desiel! so I had to check the fuel levels and just start it up and let it run for a min or two once a month.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

witsd wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am Should I take the silence as nothing being codified, no-one knowing or everyone being asleep? :D
In my case, asleep!!

However, I won't be of much help as I would always refer to the manufacturer's recommendations - and adding any additional factors like the importance of the generator and it's location (i.e., how likely it is to be vandalised or have the fuel stolen!)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

So nothing within a BS that anyone is aware of?

I've looked at the BS for firefighting lifts, but it doesn't appear to go into any detail on the secondary power supply, except to say that it needs to exist.

Manufacturer's guidelines it is, then. Cheers guys. :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy