Planned Fire Evacuation

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

diamondno1
Student
Student

Planned Fire Evacuation

Post by diamondno1 »

Hi :wave:
Can anyone tell me how often are you required to have a planned fire evacuation. I found this but in not sure if there is other guidance. .scratch

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-fire-safet ... d-training

Fire drills and training

You need to train new staff when they start work and tell all employees about any new fire risks.

You should carry out at least one fire drill per year and record the results. You must keep the results as part of your fire safety and evacuation plan

Thanks
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Planned Fire Evacuation

Post by Messy »

Here's some guidance on the web from a fire safety consultancy which is pretty good

http://www.elitefire.co.uk/ultimate-fir ... re-drills/

The only thing I would add, is ask/consult those who took part for their views. Even if you have observers, they won't see everything

The biggest building I look after has a max occupancy of 6000 staff. We have about 10 observers during a drill who cannot be everywhere, so we involved everyone in post drill consultations

Do not do a surprise drill even if you come under pressure to do so. Let people know its going to happen - and make it known that some staff will be questioned during the drill on procedures etc. That way, staff (especially managers who don't want to look stupid in from of others) have an opportunity to read up prior to the event.

Do not be anxious about cancelling the drill in bad weather. You need to get staff on board and onside re fire safety. Marching them outside during a tsunami aint going to help you in that aim!! :roll:

Good luck

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy