Combustible Stock & Electrics - A Standard??

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Combustible Stock & Electrics - A Standard??

Post by Messy »

Of course its good practice to keep combustibles away from electrical apparatus - but is there a standard?

I recall mention of keeping stacked stock 1m from lighting and combustibles 1.5 metres from distribution boards etc - but is this a recognised standard or did I make this up? There must be a standard somewhere, but Mr Google is not my friend as I can't find it.

If there's no definitive guide or standard, I am happy to plagiarise a policy from the NHS (HTM?), a University or Govt Dept (MoD?).

I need to compile a policy asap following a (very) near miss in location where there is absolutely no concept in relation to the storage of combustibles against and on top of electrical distribution kit, which almost ended up in a significant fire as the responder had to dig his way through the storage before applying an extinguisher. The fire service were not over impressed either!!! :shock:
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Combustible Stock & Electrics - A Standard??

Post by bernicarey »

I have a feeling this is perhaps a carry over from having a clear safety space around electrical panels (in a non-domestic environment).
I'll giver it some thought in the holiday.

I think it's written in US fire codes by the NFPA.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Many thanks

Have a good one🎅
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

My previous large corporate employer had a standard of keeping stock 18" from lights and 24" from distribution boards, and I've never heard of anything similar since I left, so I can only assume that it was largely made up by someone who was considering both fire safety and the need to be able to store a reasonable amount of stock.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy