Perimeter final exit doors - electronically locked

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Re: Perimeter final exit doors - electronically locked

Post by Paul1979 »

Thank you Messy, Berni & Matt for your replies. Really appreciated.
Ive been told the BS EN 54-11 is the same for fire MCP's and emergency GBU's...only different needed is the colour to comply with BS7273-4.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

bernicarey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:42 pm But why the electronic lock?
Is there a keypad/dongle/swipe entry from outside?
Is it one door or more?

If it's already got a Mushroom Button to release it, why install a Green Break Glass?
They will both be doing the same thing - A Button is a Button.... OK, it's an additional parallel wired Button, just in case the Mushroom fails, (belt & braces) but you could just as easily put 2 Mushrooms there. A Break Glass is usually to override a more 'secure' situation.

.scratch .scratch
Ideally, the emergency manual over-ride release (GBGU) should be installed adjacent to any push button device that is provided. This is because, due to force of habit, people leaving the building will automatically reach for the push button. If the GBGU is not in close proximity and operated by the first people passing through the door, then the door may close behind them and relock, thereby hindering other escapees and first responders.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by hammer1 »

Paul1979 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm Please can I have some opinions on this...

We have final exit doors on a building which are electronically locked for access control reasons i.e. to stop public walking in.

The doors have Type A emergency override switches (green boxes) and we understand they fail safe and unlock if a power loss occurs.

BUT, they don't automatically release when the building fire alarm is actuated. The building is just a traditional office block so no prisoners, psychiatric patients, etc.

BS7273-4:2015...to me, this suggests that all electronically locked doors should release upon actuation of fire alarm, except for few scenarios such as those mentioned above...

But, tenant is worried that potential thieves could stick something smoking through or under the perimeter doors and either cause the AFD to actuate an alarm, therefore releasing the doors. Or put something through the gaps/underneath the door and manually set of the alarm using the MCP.

So, we could secure the letter plate and adjust doors to remove any gaps to avoid this happening...problem solved I thought...

Another consultant has said that they don't have to make sure the doors automatically release upon actuation of fire alarm...but cannot/won't give me guidelines why other than the security issues. I've quoted the BS7273-4:2015 (section 7) and they have said that this is just a guide and is a "should" and not a "must"....

Any help much appreciated. If I am misunderstanding this, please point me in right direction!! :)

Building Regulations state you need to have all 3 actions. previous it was accepted to have 2 out of the 3 actions in place. Obviously not required if not under ADB/Building Regulations radar.

Reference below;

Particular care should be taken if the interface is facilitated via another system, such as an access control system. Where any part of BS 7273 applies to actuation of other systems, the recommendations of that standard should be followed.

Where a door on an escape route has to be secured against entry when the building or part of the building is occupied, it should only be fitted with a lock or fastening which is readily operated, without a key, from the side approached by people making their escape. Similarly, where a secure door is operated by a code, combination, swipe or proximity card, biometric data or similar means, it should also be capable of being overridden from the side approached by people making their escape.
Electrically powered locks should return to the unlocked position:
a. on operation of the fire alarm system;
b. on loss of power or system error;
c. on activation of a manual door release unit (Type A) to BS EN 54-11:2001 positioned at the door on the side approached by people making their escape. Where the door provides escape in either direction, a unit should be installed on both sides of the door.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by hammer1 »

Paul1979 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm Sorry...and does anyone know what the BS/EN is for the actual emergency BGU we need to tell the client to install?? I've found BS EN 54-11 but think that only relates to Fire MCPs... I've spent ages on Google and reading the BS7273-4 but cant see where the exact model is specified (If it does at all??)
On activation of a manual door release unit (Type A) to BS EN 54-11:2001 positioned at the door on the side approached by people making their escape. Where the door provides escape in either direction, a unit should be installed on both sides of the door.[/i]
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by hammer1 »

I have a good guide on BS7273 Part 4 if you want it..to large to upload on here sadly.
hospitalboy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Hospital_boy
Industry Sector: Healthcare/Fire Safety/H&S

Post by hospitalboy »

Hi Hammer 1,

Long time no see..... iwould not mind reading that guide as well ./thumbsup..

Many Thanks .salut

HB
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
"If you even dream of beating me you"d better wake up and apologize" - Muhammad Ali
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi Hammer!

Yes, please can I have a copy?? I'll PM you.

Cheers
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Thanks everyone for your help and advice on this...much appreciated.

Have a great Christmas and new year!! .cheers

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy