Hazards of using dry powder extinguisher?

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Merlot
Student
Student

Hazards of using dry powder extinguisher?

Post by Merlot »

Hi everyone,

Some of our staff recently completed a fire marshall and fire extinguisher course and the feedback I am getting from the attendees is concerning.

They are saying that dry powder extinguishers cause cancer!

Now I wasn't in the training myself so I couldn't challenge the trainer but I have heard the same thing from a few of the attendees and they are now reluctant to use powder extinguishers!

I have looked at SDS, googled and searched but cant find any definitive answers. The closest I can get is references to a talcum powder manufacturer being sued for a user developing cancer. Also some of the SDS mention free silica.

I will be contacting the training provider to see what their take is on the matter but thought I would canvas opinions on the assembled experts on here.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Hazards of using dry powder extinguisher?

Post by Waterbaby »

:wave: .scratch .scratch
Merlot wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am Hi everyone,

Some of our staff recently completed a fire marshall and fire extinguisher course and the feedback I am getting from the attendees is concerning.

They are saying that dry powder extinguishers cause cancer!

Matt.

I have not heard this in any training and a 20 min internet search only has one specific US reference, no date indicated -
https://www.nedt.org/_d/Fire-Extiguishers.pdf

https://echa.europa.eu/substance-inform ... 00.000.239

MSDS usually indicate issues such as skin exposure / respiratory irritant / accidental ingestion (although this deliberate ingestion is tragic - Acta Med Iran.2017 May; 55(5):348-351. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28724277)

I cannot find any references in the medical literature of documented cases.

:director: to Messy and hammer1

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I have not heard of any carcinogenic link to dry powder extinguishers.

I wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding based on the risk of cancer from talcum powder? (older talcum power contained asbestos)

DP looks very similar and I have to admit describing dry powder as looking and acting like talcum power when describing the issues of visibility when using this type of extinguisher. Upon reflection, I can imagine that my description could be misinterpreted and I am sure I am not the only person to note the similarities between the two substances.

I have also asked my friend Mr Google and can't find any mention.

I would most certainly challenge the trainer and ask him/her for evidence to support their view. It would be useful if you could post their reply here
Merlot
Student
Student

Post by Merlot »

Hi,

thanks WB and Messy for your replies.

That certainly confirms my own knowledge and the research I have done.

As you say, the closest I can get is a well known talcum powder manufacturer being sued for apparently causing cancer in a woman who had applied it to her skin every day for many many years.

I have emailed the training company to seek answers but havent heard anything back yet. When I do I will post up their reply.

Thanks again.

Matt.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I'm aware that some of the chemicals used in foam extinguishers are known carcinogens, but I've not heard that in relation to dry powder appliances.

I suspect that root cause of this might simply be the sheer number of different powders that have been used over the years, particularly if you mix in the class D powders as well, but the only links I could find in a ten minute search were that dry powders stop the production of free-radicals (which cause cancer) and that sodium bicarbonate has been touted as a cancer cure (to be clear, it certainly is no such thing).
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Merlot
Student
Student

Post by Merlot »

Hi,

I have received a response back from the training company. I haven't asked for permission to publish the response so I will paraphrase:

It basically make apologies for a misunderstanding, the trainer had been discussing dry powder extinguishers and their respiratory effects with a safety manager at a clients premises. The trainer then made an incorrect link to cancer. They have correctly pointed out that dry powders are no longer recommended for interior use.

So, case closed. Now need to provide the right information to all the delegates that were on the original training to put their minds at rest.

Thanks all.

Matt.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment

Post by Messy »

Competent?? - Just saying :roll:

Thanks for providing the feedback
Stevie Johnno
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Stevie Johnno »

A decent Instructor/Trainer knows that one wrongly phrased comment can Snowball, if in doubt say now't or use the stock answer if questioned..."I'll get back to you on that" (translates to "I don't know but I'll Google it" :lol: )
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Merlot wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm They have correctly pointed out that dry powders are no longer recommended for interior use.

I wonder how that is going down in the USA.... given their love of ABC Powder for everything.
I once had a US Fire Chief (about 9 yrs ago) question why I wanted CO2 Extinguishers and not Halon!
I doubt they have changed their attitudes much, even now.
.shakingagain
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Messy »

bernicarey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:32 pm

I once had a US Fire Chief (about 9 yrs ago) question why I wanted CO2 Extinguishers and not Halon!
I doubt they have changed their attitudes much, even now.
.shakingagain
Let's be fair, the US are not exactly renown for their environmentally friendly agenda are they?? They seem to opt out of most worldwide agreements, and as for the amount of hot air emanating from their president at the moment isn't going to help (and his enthusiasm for picking fights with mad world leaders with a nuclear option). :roll:
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

An interesting read while we're on the topic of US fire extinguishers https://www.maritime-executive.com/arti ... inguishers
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

For those in a maritime environment it might be interesting to know the ownership of the vessel, since it was so poorly maintained.
Pity it's not mentioned.
I found the USCG original alert and it's word-for-word the same as the internet article.
http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%2 ... s/1317.pdf
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy