Automatic Sliding Doors as Final Exit

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

millpond
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Logistics

Automatic Sliding Doors as Final Exit

Post by millpond »

Hi All,

I have a client who is utilising Automatic Sliding Doors as a final exit. Article 14 is clear that sliding doors should not be used as a final exit.
The door is linked into the Fire Alarm system and according to the client (I haven't witnessed this) opens upon activation of the alarm system. Apparently there is a battery back up in case of mains failure. I am aware that by assessment the term "neccessity" may be utilised, given that there would only be a small number of persons (up to 10) who would use this as final exit. I have deep reservations and would appreciate your thoughts

Millpond
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Automatic Sliding Doors as Final Exit

Post by Messy »

As you say, sliding doors are not best practice on escape routes but not impossible.

Have a look at this recent thread:

http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/fo ... rs#p346082

The devil is in the detail for me. Is the premises low risk? You have mentioned 10 occupants, but how about in terms of slow fire growth? You would not want people rushing in a hurry to be pushing on this door.
Is it the only final exit?

You mention a battery back up? What does that battery do? Open the door an leave it open? Open and close the door until it dies? (if so, how many openings before the battery dies??. Lastly, what happen when the door dies? Does it open the door as it's last action? Is there a green break glass override unit fitted? Can you slide the door against the mechanism as a last resort?

Why do you need a sliding door? Is there a sound business case for keeping it? Can the sliding door be converted easily to a hinged outward opening door within a reasonable budget? (even if the door was set within a lobby within the boundary of the building)?

I would try to get rid of the door is at all possible - especially if its the only final exit, but for a low risk premises with suitable resilient power supplies and overrides - and backed up with a maintenance regime in excess of what may usually be required for a sliding door, it may well be suitable

Good luck
millpond
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Logistics

Re: Automatic Sliding Doors as Final Exit

Post by millpond »

Thanks Messy
Very detailed and sensible response and with previous info
The place in question has numerous issues which led to me giving a “high” Risk, irrespective of the door issue.
Thanks for your corroborative expertise

Millpond

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy