evac chute for high rise

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

evac chute for high rise

Post by hammer1 »

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/evacchute-f ... ion-chute/

Would you fancy training this method? Apparently been given the rubber stamp by TUV (Germany insurance guys who do testing etc)
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: evac chute for high rise

Post by Messy »

I need considerable convincing that this fun fair ride would be a safe system to install virtually anywhere other than Alton Towers!

With the exception of plant areas in factories or oil refineries ,- with minimal numbers of trained staff - what building would need It?

A modern building as shown will (in.the uk) have suitable means of escape designed in, and older buildings may struggle to accommodate this.

How would you protect this escape route? FR all the glazing below as you would with an external staircase?

And then there's training and maintenance. Plus some people simply would not use it - or be able to. My luck would be I would follow a woman in heels who is ripping the material in front of me

So help me out. What am I missing? I think it's nonsense and even more dangerous than those throw out ladders that are available. So what am I missing?
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

I suppose it is not trying to be an alternative means of escape in the sense you will have these in place as it is, it is there for the worst case scenario (all possible means of escape are not viable due to development of fire etc).

However what is the justification? how many high rise office blocks have you witnessed serious fires? what are the case studies to justify such a cost, would rather spend that money on plenty of good fire prevention/protection measures.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Those are fair points but this is the UK in the 21st century for goodness sake. Most high rise fires of note have been as a result of human failings that were foreseeable and preventable . So this is surely the direction of travel we should take

Sound building regs, effective (& consistent) enforcement and stronger penalities for breaches - including fixed penalty notices for minor infringements - must be the way to go rather than reverting to a man made nylon womb😁

The Victorians used to sling a sort of builders rubbish chute under their 50ft wheeled escape ladder. I really do think we can do better than that!!
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

It's been available for years. The youtube sales video is from 2009, though it looks older: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eohpyx8NzMg

They say 8 persons per minute.

Alternatively, there's this Oil Rig Chute .... watch for the incident at about 1:30 ;)
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy