Huge fire at Grenfell Tower block

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Huge fire at Grenfell Tower block

Post by Waterbaby »

BBC One - 'Grenfell"

If you missed this on TV last night, see link here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6q36v

"This documentary from Bafta-winning director Ben Anthony brings together multiple stories from the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy - the most devastating tower block fire in British history, and is made over the course of one year, with filming starting on the day after the fire."

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Commercial, residential, construction

Post by hammer1 »

Fire safety bill just passed with no amendments into House of Lords it goes, reckon it be a quick passage before it gets Royal Assent.

Interesting topics discussed tonight including national register for fire risk assessors and electrical safety.

The fire consultation to amend the FSO will have greater impact in my view, just hope that has the same smooth passage.

Times are a changing folks.....
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Thanks Hammer. I had missed that!

What was the consensus re the national register of assessors?
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by hammer1 »

Messy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:37 am Thanks Hammer. I had missed that!

What was the consensus re the national register of assessors?
There was a motion for an amendment to have a national register, however this didn't get added - reasons were there will be a ACOP published which will assist in defining 'competent persons' to conduct FRAs for higher risk buildings, they want it be be industry lead rather than specific law requirement.
The song goes...{I'm gonna walk down to electric avenue and I'm gonna say ' have you got PAT testing records for all that mate'}
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

I've heard some talk that there is now a bit of a pushback against some Grenfell recommendations due to them being seen as unmanageable - specifically the use of PIBs.

Can anyone confirm this?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
hammer1
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by hammer1 »

witsd wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 pm I've heard some talk that there is now a bit of a pushback against some Grenfell recommendations due to them being seen as unmanageable - specifically the use of PIBs.

Can anyone confirm this?

Not sure mate, I know PEEPs have been getting big push backs. The fire consultation document from Government didn't seem to read they were against it?

I understand the Fire Safety Bill is back in the House of Commons next week to discuss House of Lords amendments, would like to think they would agree but very much doubt it.
FSHRRB

Post by FSHRRB »

witsd wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm
Messy wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:59 pmI don't want to be critical of this guy as he has done a good job waking up his landlords to the risks they've ignored. But some might ask that as a fire safety officer, how come he didn't see some of the problems prior to Grenfell??
I don't know, it sounds like many of the issues were within people's homes and how they connected to the risers. Maybe it wasn't so apparent in his home, and having never looked at the building's FRA, he'd be unlikely to discover something like that any other way.

And of course there's the issue with failing to spot the issues that are 'normal' – those you walk past every day, in comparison to walking into a strange building and looking at it with a strategic approach.
That's an accurate summary (it's me in that piece).
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

FSHRRB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:30 pmThat's an accurate summary (it's me in that piece).
Always good to remember that the internet can sometimes be a very small place. :D

Welcome to the forum!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
FSHRRB

Post by FSHRRB »

witsd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 pm
FSHRRB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:30 pmThat's an accurate summary (it's me in that piece).
Always good to remember that the internet can sometimes be a very small place. :D

Welcome to the forum!
What are the chances of that?

Thank you.
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58507434

Sounds like the prosecution are operating on the basis of we'll keep wheeling in experts until we get one that says what we want.

That said, I don't think its beyond the scope of his job to get evidence on such things, and if he believes it wasnt part of his job, why did he comment on it at all (and say that it was safe)?? If you can't get the evidence, you report this and tell the council to get the evidence.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Mr Stokes was not an impressive witness. Frankly his arrogant demeanour irritated the hell out of me. It does not suprise me that he took information from an informal chat and used it as evidence. I would need to see a certificate or a covering email.

But on the other hand, would I have even considered the cladding?
Perhaps - if I attended when it was a building site, but definitely not during a 'typical' FRA

A FRA of residential blocks was only to common parts such as stairs, corridors, lobbies. Car parks etc

The definition of 'common parts' of a tower block most definitely didn't include the cladding - unless it was unusual such as a living wall or timber in poor condition.

Since Grenfell the Govt have issued 'Clarification ' (aka a change in the definition) and cladding is most certainly part of the FRA as it will cover more than one flat

I will not touch residential FRAs now as I can afford the PI insurance or do I think I am competent

As I say, I thought Mr Stokes was a know it all pillock (my opinion) , but in the matter of cladding, you could argue he did more than some assessors

Perhaps he deserves to be prosecuted- that's not for me to say, but I hope he doesn't become the fall guy in an industry (construction and fire safety) that let the UK down - and especially the victims of Grenfell.

An insulation firm have been accused of submitting a fire resistant product for safety testing and using that certificate to sell material they knew would not pass the test. If true, they are far more guilty than an ex firefighter with an inflated ego
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

Watched this tonight ( aired on Channel 4 UK last Wed pm ) - "Grenfell: The Untold Story"

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/gre ... told-story

As expected , content is distressing :(

WB
#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy